What's new
What's new

shopping for a cmm

eaglemike

Stainless
My parts would pretty much fit inside a shoebox, so I don't need a big envelope. I don't need a cnc, as we won't be doing production runs through the machine. It will be used for some dimensional verification, and some for reverse engineering, so I can get the interface right for my parts.

I see that Mitutoyo has what looks like a decent machine for $26.5K. Years ago I used a few Sheffield machines, and always had good luck with them. Software was easy, also easy to write subroutines in basic to set up automatically calculated data. Last time was about 30 years ago though.

Mitutoyo is sold here by Yamazen, some of my favorite people. Also comes with what looks like a decent warranty. Is the software friendly? Is the machine reliable?

Do you have another favorite? Friendlier software?

all help appreciated!!

My parts would pretty much fit inside a shoebox, so I don't need a big envelope. I don't need a cnc, as we won't be doing production runs through the machine. It will be used for some dimensional verification, and some for reverse engineering, so I can get the interface right for my parts.

I see that Mitutoyo has what looks like a decent machine for $26.5K. Years ago I used a few Sheffield machines, and always had good luck with them. Software was easy, also easy to write subroutines in basic to set up automatically calculated data. Last time was about 30 years ago though.

Mitutoyo is sold here by Yamazen, some of my favorite people. Also comes with what looks like a decent warranty. Is the software friendly? Is the machine reliable?

Do you have another favorite? Friendlier software?

all help appreciated!!

unless they Changed it the cheap Mit doesnt do reverse enginering all that well, .
look into these (check masters) they, my customer has a few and they love them, they do have the upgraded software and from what I have learned and read they are extmealy good for reverse engineering. never heard one complaint for there inspectors about them. they have programs they use for every part that will let them know if your running a tols towards the high or low (which you can set)

Coordinate Measuring Machines (CMMs) | Helmel Engineering

The Helmel factory is in Niagara Falls, NY about a half hour from where I live, I've been there many times and have a decent amount of experience with their equipment. Also I believe they have an office in Cali. We did our due diligence looking at many brands before making a purchase and they had very attractive pricing. The Geomet software is a teach type programming that is pretty easy to learn but I prefer the upgraded CMM Manager software from Nikon, it is capable of running from solid models allowing for the inspection of complex surfaces. I would still consider a DCC driven machine even for small runs. It is very difficult to accurately probe small features by hand. And when you really want to get a good cross section of a feature you can tell the machine "take x many points at where ever" then sit back and drink your coffee while the machine takes upteen evenly spaced perfect data points.

The Helmel factory is in Niagara Falls, NY about a half hour from where I live, I've been there many times and have a decent amount of experience with their equipment. Also I believe they have an office in Cali. We did our due diligence looking at many brands before making a purchase and they had very attractive pricing. The Geomet software is a teach type programming that is pretty easy to learn but I prefer the upgraded CMM Manager software from Nikon, it is capable of running from solid models allowing for the inspection of complex surfaces. I would still consider a DCC driven machine even for small runs. It is very difficult to accurately probe small features by hand. And when you really want to get a good cross section of a feature you can tell the machine "take x many points at where ever" then sit back and drink your coffee while the machine takes upteen evenly spaced perfect data points.

They have a place in the city of Orange in Ca.
I believe I was looking at the Geomet 101 or could have been Geomet 301 software last year. Somewhere I found a good comparison charts of what the geomet software versions do and don't do. I couldn't find it when I posted that link.
There manual machine was around 19K for the last 2 years, of course + upgrades if I recall we were quoted 28-32k for some heads the upgraded software going to the class's in Ca. and having them set it up. Still looking at getting one maybe this year as we do enough production work to justify one.
Im glad you brought up the dcc for small work and the reasoning. most of our works is small with tons of features

the newer smaller mit that came out early last year I think was around 35-40k but they couldnt upgrade the software at that time they said for reverse engineering, it had some pretty nice features but lacked the features that I was looking for to be comparable with what our customers templates from there hemels.

I know nothing about cmms, so just took the word of the mit guy telling me about it.

Thanks very much for the ideas. I've had some quotes from Helmel. I'll need to make a visit to make a decision. Support and software will be major considerations. I'm hoping I can get support equivalent to Yamzen.
Hope you are all safe and healthy - and business is good!

Back