What's new
What's new

Short Dial / Digital Vernier Calipers

Prostocktom

Aluminum
Wondering today if anyone made either dial or digital vernier calipers that are shorter than a 4" scale? I have a set of Starrett 4" dial verniers and a set of Mitutoyo 4" digital verniers. However being the constant tool junkie and occasionally having the need or wanting a shorter set I thought I would ask. Did some digging around on the internet, but never found any clues. I usually have a Stanley 6' Fatmax tape measure and a 1" Starrett 226 0-1" micrometer on me all the time, but packing a 4" pair of verniers in the case around fills up the pockets quickly. Any help or leads would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

I have 2 small calipers that are handy to have in my pocket when in stores buying screws etc.

It depends on what I'm looking for as to which one I have on me.

calipers.jpg

I've never seen or heard of any dial calipers less than 6".

I have 2 small calipers that are handy to have in my pocket when in stores buying screws etc.

View attachment 252900

Gordon, the man that knows everything does not know about Mitutoyo 4" calipers! I have a one, very handy. If the OP needs a smaller one you can cut them down.

Gordon, the man that knows everything does not know about Mitutoyo 4" calipers! I have a one, very handy. If the OP needs a smaller one you can cut them down.

I didn't know the man that couldn't read would reply.

What I wrote was "I've never seen or heard of any dial calipers less than 6"."
Notice the "dial" in that sentence? Obviously not. Now if you can tell the OP how to do that and still have a usable caliper (any caliper type) I'm sure he's not the only one that wants to know.

"cutting a caliper to size" has go to be one of the daftest things I've heard. Of course it can be done but usable afterwards?

https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Digital-Electronic-Stainless-Micrometer/dp/B0058EE0NQ

bought a 3" digital caliper and it came in same box size that holds a 4" caliper.
dial caliper i have cut before with a grinder. obviously it was a older extra one i had and i cut to reach into tighter spots
4" caliper box usually fits in cargo pants leg pocket. i carry digital one for checking drill bits and things. i dont expect super high precision with it. i just need to be able to tell a .531 from a .550 drill stuff like that. obviously if measuring gage blocks it could be +/-.001 off but its good enough for many things

Back in the 50s almost all engineering students had a 10" slide rule hanging from their belts. You could devise a belt holster and carry your caliper the same way.

View attachment 252900

Here's a photo of my two 4" pairs of verniers. The 4" Starrett is much smaller than the 4" Mitutoyo set. I tend to use them in the EDM machine a lot and in general so I am not packing the larger ones around. Ideally I wish Starrett made a 2-1/2" set like my 4" set. I think they would sell.

Tom

Attachments

• 20190327_010350.jpg
    20190327_010350.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 149
Curiosity.

Why do some call the 3 types of caliper (Vernier, dial and digital) for "vernier"?

To me the word "vernier" indicates the reading "system" and not the caliper itself.

I know the word "caliper" can mean more than one thing.

I'm not trying to start a debate as what folk regard as "right", just curious.

Curiosity.

Why do some call the 3 types of caliper (Vernier, dial and digital) for "vernier"?

To me the word "vernier" indicates the reading "system" and not the caliper itself.

I know the word "caliper" can mean more than one thing.

I'm not trying to start a debate as what folk regard as "right", just curious.
It just crept into common usage like xerox kleenex or drill bit.

Wondering today if anyone made either dial or digital vernier calipers that are shorter than a 4" scale? I have a set of Starrett 4" dial verniers and a set of Mitutoyo 4" digital verniers. However being the constant tool junkie and occasionally having the need or wanting a shorter set I thought I would ask. Did some digging around on the internet, but never found any clues. I usually have a Stanley 6' Fatmax tape measure and a 1" Starrett 226 0-1" micrometer on me all the time, but packing a 4" pair of verniers in the case around fills up the pockets quickly. Any help or leads would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

Dial Vernier?? Digital Vernier? There is no such calipers, they are either Dial, Digital or Vernier. It's kinda like saying you have a Dial Digital Caliper. Only place that sells Digital Vernier Calipers is ebay by those that don't know better. Just like a Starrett 123 8" Vernier caliper, Starrett never made one they are either 6", 24", 36", 48" and 72" not a few inches more.

Last edited:
Back in the 50s almost all engineering students had a 10" slide rule hanging from their belts. You could devise a belt holster and carry your caliper the same way.

Starrett sells leather holsters for 6" calipers. I keep one above my shop apron horizontally. It get's dirty, but just means it gets cleaned and oiled more often.

View attachment 252900

I have a Mitutoyo 4in dial caliper 505-629-50. Dont know if they still offer them or not, I have had this one for many years, bought it new and keep it at my desk for quick measuring when programing or quoting.

Charles

At least the OP now knows what he wants is possible. Maybe he should have consulted a female as I've heard they can get everything in their handbag up to and including a kitchen sink :D

5470eb715e055b47f58677ec84a89f1e.jpg

I made one for my little Starrett combo square.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back