What's new
What's new

Is Snap On COMBOSQ3 a re-branded Starrett combination square?

pugglewuggle

Plastic
Hi everyone,

Is the Snap On COMBOSQ3 combination squere Combination Square a rebranded Starrett?

The pictures online look the same, including the case, but I'm asking if anyone here has ever held one or seen it in person, side by side with a Starrett, or has some inside information.

I know their Blue Point SQUARECOMB12 is a re-branded iGaging part.

Thanks!

I have contacted both companies and can confirm that the Snap On COMBOSQ3 is a rebranded Starrett C434-12-4R.

Yeah... I just bought a bunch of Snap On tools... several of their Snap On branded products are... rebranded, but they are only the highest quality ones. I think the cheaper stuff is Blue Point. Example: the Snap On branded tap and die set is actually Irwin. Same box, same parts, same label and paperwork - different color box and logo.

They even told me that warranty is done directly through Starrett, even for the Snap On branded combo square.

It is... the few Snap On dial indicators I have used looked to be Starret too. Snap On does do some rebranding. They also like to buy companies and then rebrand, Starret obviously too large for this but they have bought up many smaller companies over the years. They continuously bring more and more stuff in house.

$297.00 if you buy it from Starrett, $426.30 if you buy it from Snap-On...:nutter:

Thanks for the tidbit. I did not know the Snap On trio square was essentially rebranded Starrett. I like Starrett. Snap on makes some great tools and I think we can see them online. As you likely know Sears has had to go the way of the Dinosauer. Sad to see that and it is hard to believe. Craftsman tools are now owned by Black and Decker and Craftsman brand is of lesser quality now also. Craftsman can be bought at Lowe’s now and not sure if I remember for sure but maybe Walmart.

It is... the few Snap On dial indicators I have used looked to be Starret too. Snap On does do some rebranding. They also like to buy companies and then rebrand, Starret obviously too large for this but they have bought up many smaller companies over the years. They continuously bring more and more stuff in house.

Has anyone taken a close look at where much (most?) of Starrett stuff is now made? I'm not saying it isn't good or that it is inferior but if anyone still thinks it's still mostly a US made product then wake up to reality.

In their defense they are doing what all others do.

Back