What's new
What's new

Software for Brown & Sharpe Gage 2000 CMM

jwguts

Plastic
My brother and I run a small shop, and we have gotten a 10 year old Brown & Sharpe Gage 2000 CMM. We've started using it standalone for measurements, and writing down the calculations into our quality layouts forms by hand

It has a couple 3-1/2" diskettes for a Reflex v1.5 program which appears to provide an interface into a CAD program.

But I was wondering if there is something, anything, that would be an improvement from this situation to provide more computer based quality planning/recording on a very, very lean budget. Free would be very good!

Suggestions? Thanks!

Just following up... since the model is 10 years old, I suspect there's software out there that's obsolete to some people but would be a big upgrade in gathering our quality data. We have some budget for this, but not much. Your thoughts or suggestions?

You might have some luck posting in the buying/selling area on this site. Maybe some packrat somewhere is holding onto just what you need...

Or, if anyone has any ideas for you, I can look around and see what the packrat owner here has lying around.

If it does Reflex it will probably do PC-DMIS, which I don't really like (and it's spendy) but it will do lots of cool stuff.

If it does Reflex it will probably do PC-DMIS, which I don't really like (and it's spendy) but it will do lots of cool stuff.

We're due for a calibration soon, and I was going to ask our dealer what PC-DMIS costs. My software buying experience is that, if I have to ask then I probably can't afford it. But here goes anyway... what is spendy? And what better alternative do you suggest?

I don't know for sure but I remember the owner crying about what it cost to upgrade our software. Get a quote. It can't hurt. People seem to like the reflex better for doing hole locations and stuff but I was doing 3d contours on mold electrodes so PC-DMIS was necessary.

I've heard that it's somewhere in the $20,000 range. CMM Manager is a good program that we use on a 15-year old Giddings-Lewis CMM. I'm pretty sure it's less than PC-DMIS but I'm not sure how much.

Reflex actually isn't that bad. You just have to get used to the way it wants you to think (in 2D terms, the way PC-DMIS used to be a long time ago).

Back