What's new
What's new

Some input on use of Federal Dimensionair gage please

Derek Smalls

Stainless
Hi folks, A while ago I picked up a Federal Dimensionair flatness gage. I was able to get it for pretty short money, so I figured I have a new toy. Issue is, I have NO experience with air gages what so ever, and I'm having some trouble sorting this thing out. I've tried searching for info but I haven't come up with much. The thing seemed pretty straight forward at first, aint but one way to connect the lines, then adjust the pressure with the built in regulator until the needle on the pressure gage is between the limit lines, but now I'm not sure that the gage is working correctly. Either that or I'm just missing something. As soon as pressure is applied to the system, the needle on the measuring dial snaps to the six o'clock position, rotating clockwise. This is with no pressure on the contact tip and it seems fully closed(no air leaking by it). By putting pressure on the contact tip, it opens and lets air flow past. I can, by doing that, get the needle on the measuring dial to start dropping(turning counter clockwise) but it moves very slowly, taking almost a minute to move to the 12 o'clock, or zero, position, and will go no further than that. I can move it slightly with the zero setting adjustment, but not enough to be able to use the entire measuring range. It rotates counter clockwise much more slowly than I would imagine it should, at this speed the thing is rather impractical so I'm sure this is not how it's designed to work. I'm at a loss. If any of you guys are familiar with these things and are not totally confused by my explanation of the situation, I'd love some advice. Thanks. Oh, If anyone wants pics, I'll get some posted later.

Thanks Daryl, I had found a similar pdf but it was not as detailed or extensive as the link you provided. I just gave it a quick read through, I need to spend some more time with it later. It doesn't seem to speak of the problem I'm having specificly, but I'm now more convinced what I'm seeing isn't operator error and probably caused by contamination in the air messing something up. It did mention something about a repair manual if trouble is with the gage head itself, I guess I'm off to find one of those. Any other input is appreciated!

Are you using a jet probe or plunger probe? I have a spare .003" range probe for a D2500 you can have for the cost of shipping.

If I still have a rebuild manual for Dimensionair I can email a pdf.

Art

Thanks for the response Art. It's a plunger probe I have, and my unit is a D2500. That's a very generous offer, and I really appreciate it. If I could maybe borrow the probe, I would be able to sort out if the problem is in my probe or the gage unit itself. I'll gladly cover shipping obviously. Also, the rebuild pdf maybe very helpful as well, depending on what I find when I switch probes. Since you have experience with these, am I right in assuming that the needle should snap to a reading(counter clockwise movement) when the plunger is depressed a fixed amount? This really slow movement of the indicator seems all wrong to me, but I don't know for sure. Any other advice on the use of this thing would be helpful. Thanks

Art,I am trying to rebuild a D2500 Dimensionair and could really use a copy of the rebuild manual. I Would really appreciate it. If you would,can you e-mail to my e-mail which is: [email protected]
Thank you for your time,
Les

Back