What's new
What's new

Sources, resources, and references

The real Leigh

Diamond
Hi All,

I hope this will be a thread where folks can post links to documents related to measuring techniques and such.

Please do not turn this into a discussion thread. That's not the purpose. If you want to discuss something posted here, start a new thread with an appropriate title.

We'll start off with a PDF regarding measurement of hole positions on a circle, provided by Gordon Clarke, here http://www.f-m-s.dk/CDH.pdf

Thanks.

- Leigh

[I decided to merge two similar threads into one, since there are too many sticky threads. - TRL]

The National Physics Laboratory in the UK has free downloads of their measurement guides.

NPL Guide Listing

They have guides covering a variety of topics such as:

A beginner's guide to uncertainty in measurement

CMM measurement strategies

Estimating uncertainties in testing

Fundamental good practice in dimensional metrology

There are 114 total documents and I believe they are all available for download.

MO

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's one on screw thread pitch diameter tolerance for standard threads:

http://www.f-m-s.dk/ThreadTables.pdf

and one on how to find nominal thread pitch diameter

All dimensions are in mm but just divide by 25.4 to get inches.

If these are interesting I've got more I've made. There's no copyright so help yourselves :)

Rather than change mm to inches as you go along then it is probably easier to do the calculations before changing anything to inches (numbers are just numbers) and just change the final result to inches if it's inches you want to work with.

I've just realised that the bit on finding nominal screw thread pitch diameter isn't a PDF. Give me time and I'll change it.

Last edited:
Sources and resources

Thought I would start a sticky thread for where to find things.

Feel free to add to the list, but please, this is not a discussion thread.

If you want to discuss something, start a new thread with the appropriate topic.

Clarification...

This is meant to be a peer-to-peer exchange, where users report their successes to others who may benefit from that knowledge.
It's not meant to be a vendor-to-customer exchange. Please don't promote your own products. That's spam.

- Leigh

Last edited:
Source of API thread pitch gages

From Ken 4GSR -

Gagemaker in Houston makes profile gages for all API thread profiles.

Lonestar Gage [...] still makes profile gages too.

Ken

From Ken 4GSR -

Gagemaker in Houston makes profile gages for all API thread profiles.

Lonestar Gage [...] still makes profile gages too.

Ken

I'm not quite sure if this is playing fair within the context of the thread but if it is then I'm making the claim that the screw thread doesn't exist that I can't make something that can't measure with the following two exceptions:
1) Pitches finer than 0.5mm / 48 TPI and
2) Internal threads less than 6mm / 0.25".
As to price then it's only common sense to compare with other alternatives.
Anyone wanting to know more can go into my website via my name.

Well, this was really meant to be third-party references, not self-promotion.

But since I didn't mention that in the original post I'll let it slide.

Original post edited.

- Leigh

Well, this was really meant to be third-party references, not self-promotion.
But since I didn't mention that in the original post I'll let it slide.
Original post edited.
- Leigh

Thanks, but in my (weak?) defense then there are several that make things similar to mine so it's a question of finding out what is out there and choosing the best option based on price and quality.

I often find things by accident or searching and realise that there is a great deal out there that I know nothing or very little about. Years ago I had a salesman in a company where I was Quality Manager ask me to help him find something handy for measuring beer kegs. Up until then I'd never heard of a pi tape :)
I became a hero overnight as he could easilly have it in his pocket.

Hi Gordon,

It's difficult to draw a distinction. I would explain it thus:

This is meant to be a peer-to-peer exchange, where users report their successes to others who may benefit from that knowledge.

It's not meant to be a vendor-to-customer exchange. That's spam.

Hope this helps.

- Leigh

Hi Gordon,

It's difficult to draw a distinction. I would explain it thus:

It's not meant to be a vendor-to-customer exchange. That's spam.

Hope this helps.

- Leigh

Leigh the message has sunk in :) I've danced on the edge of the line a couple of times but I've had questions asked sometimes where I can answer by using a link to one of my webpages.
Probably more than half my website is information rather than sales "gas" but it is a difficult balance at times. I can honestly say that I've never deliberately put a link in to sell something.

If you feel I cross the line with any of my posts delete and there will be no hard feelings from me :cheers:

Resources for correct SPC for precision machining

Resource for information on the correct SPC for linear and circular features in precision machining.

Learn why X-bar R is the worst - bar none - charting methodology for precision machining, and how the correct methodology of the X hi/lo-R chart uses the correct statistics and provides much more valuable information for less effort! Free, complete video training here.

Last edited:
Thread pitch diameter and general info

http://www.f-m-s.dk/2.03.pdf

I made the link above some time ago with all dimensions in mm and have now also made a similar one in inches.

http://www.f-m-s.dk/2.03 - inch version.pdf

I hope it's useful to those not used to working in metric. If nothing else it'll give most a better idea of thread pitch diameter tolerance sizes.

Gordon

P.S. I've put this in the two sub forums I feel are the most relevant i.e. General and Metrology

Back