What's new
What's new

Standard Gage Company inc. ?

Chopshopchopper

Plastic
Hi, I recently bought a standard gage company inc. gauge for $4 at HGR. I searched google and can not seem to find any info on "Standard Gage Company inc." Does this company still exist or is it under a new name. Any info would be great.

Gauge says: 1REV Shockproof Standard D9-23141-A Poughkeepsie N.Y. USA .0001

:crazy: :cheers:

Standard Gage was a FINE American company that got caught up in the get rich quick world of International marketing.
The were bought by Brown & Sharpe who pretty much left them alone because they were the best at what they did... dial indicators, bore gaging and snap gages.
Ze Swiss came along and in their INFINITE wisdom after B&S handed them the reigns of the hand tool division, destroyed that company, probably because they thought no American company could do things better than the arrogant, and not so bright in many areas Swiss.
Ze Swiss moved the product to Switzerland (to keep THEIR country employed) and ruined every one of the products the proud Standard Gage Company made. They milked the name for a while and did well with the residual business but customers soon caught on, the Swiss/Euro Standard Gage products were comparative junk to the U.S. built stuff.
The Swiss drove the final nail in the Standard Gage coffin came last year when they decided to name the products Tesa/Hexagon brought in from China 'Standard Gage'. It is decent quality but not at all like the original products Standard Gage made. Now the name is just a dumping ground for a pile of 'me too' Chinese crap like calipers and such... but with a WAY hefty price when compared to any other equivalent and very prevalent Chines products.
You DO have a gem there in that indicator. It is truly well engineered and crafted and built before those in power decided Americans really don't like to work.

Standard Gage was a FINE American company that got caught up in the get rich quick world of International marketing.
The were bought by Brown & Sharpe who pretty much left them alone because they were the best at what they did... dial indicators, bore gaging and snap gages.
Ze Swiss came along and in their INFINITE wisdom after B&S handed them the reigns of the hand tool division, destroyed that company, probably because they thought no American company could do things better than the arrogant, and not so bright in many areas Swiss.
Ze Swiss moved the product to Switzerland (to keep THEIR country employed) and ruined every one of the products the proud Standard Gage Company made. They milked the name for a while and did well with the residual business but customers soon caught on, the Swiss/Euro Standard Gage products were comparative junk to the U.S. built stuff.
The Swiss drove the final nail in the Standard Gage coffin came last year when they decided to name the products Tesa/Hexagon brought in from China 'Standard Gage'. It is decent quality but not at all like the original products Standard Gage made. Now the name is just a dumping ground for a pile of 'me too' Chinese crap like calipers and such... but with a WAY hefty price when compared to any other equivalent and very prevalent Chines products.
You DO have a gem there in that indicator. It is truly well engineered and crafted and built before those in power decided Americans really don't like to work.

Sounds like standard American business practice to me. Same thing happened to the company I served my apprenticeship at.

Is this "Dorsey" company in the same league as far as quality?:willy_nilly:
Dorsey now makes the Hamilton dial indicators under their own name.

I've not seen their products, but they certainly look like the originals (which I have). You really can't compromise when your mechanical DI has a resolution of 0.00005"/division.

- Leigh

A few years back I picked up a set of tri-mike digital bore gages with one readout and a set of changeable heads for various bore diameters. It bears a "Standard" label and was designated the Micro-EBG. If you are familiar with it, can you tell me if it was made while Standard was a separate company.

Thanks, Mike

The Micro EBG was a purchased item that was relabeled and sold both through B&S and Standard Gage.
I believe it was made in England.

Hey Chops I have a few Standard gages also, fine instruments. I also have 2 Dorsey's one with .00005 grads the other with .000020 grads both as smooth as my Hamilton. I prefer them over my Mahr's. The only gage's I like more are Mikrokators.
Don

Hi, i just wanted to let you fellows know that both of my parents worked at Standard Gage back then. My dad "plated" things, metal i guess, and my mom worked in the office; they were introduced and eventually married. Isn't that sweet? I know nothing, of course, about the objects you are discussing, but agree that they don't make anything like they used to. Folks tell me if my toaster oven is still working, not to replace it, because the next one won't last nearly as long...Diana M., Richmond, VA

Talked to a representative from Dorsey Gage at IMTS and he told me they bought the Standard name, tooling and are now again manufacturing in New York State. Haven't bought any Standard tooling in a couple years, but what we have is first class.

Back