What's new
What's new

Starrett 120-A calipers - crystal re-installation

specfab

Titanium
I looked for this topic and haven't found anything of specific use yet...

I have a Starrett 120-A 6" dial caliper, made around 2005 0r 2006, which has the dial crystal popped out. I was gently trying to clean the rack and pinion with a little Dust-Off to get a chip out, and the pressurization under the dial assembly just blew the crystal loose. I'm trying to figure out two things:

--how to remove the bezel (it's a black plastic ring, not the earlier metal ring that is held with circle spring)
--what is best way to reinstall the crystal in the bezel.

Any help appreciated. I looked at the LonIsland Indicator site and didn't see info specific to this plastic bezel removal.

You can do a makeshift crystal press with a mill vise and some scrap nylon pretty easily. Google crystal press and you'll get the idea pretty quick. I can't help with the removal of the bezel, haven't had to take mine apart yet.

Thanks for the note. I haven't figured out a risk-free way to get the bezel off yet either. Maybe some heat and prying, but I just don't have the wherewithal right now to devote "quality time" to this. Might contact Starrett to see if they have suggestions that don't include vacuuming my wallet.

I once left my micrometer on the roof of my car. Drove it block or two and then realized what I did.
Backtracked the route and it was in the middle of the road. Ordered new parts, including a bezel.
The new bezel had a black ring, not a older silver ring. The lens just pops into the bezel. I used a
wood fixture to hold the lens. Oh, my Starret mic still works good. I recall the the replacement parts
were ordered on the phone and the bezel/lens was not expensive.

Back