What's new
What's new

Starrett Combination Square Replacement Blades

Status
Not open for further replies.

poptm

Plastic
Hello -

I just bought and older starrett 12" combination square with a center head. The square head and the center head are in decent enough shape but the blade isn't. I was wondering if anybody knows if I bought a brand new blade for that square if it would fit with the older heads. I've been poking around on the internet for a hour or so now and have been through the starrett catalog and just can't seem to find and answer. Help with answering this question would be appreciated. Thanks, in advance.

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking of buying a new Starrett blade to replace the old Starrett blade. Just don't know if the newer blade fits the older Starrett heads. I'd like to get a newer Starrett blade but if the newer ones don't fit it, I'll most certainly look into other brands of blades. Blemishes don't bother me just as long as they are only cosmetic blemishes.

Leigh -

I do appreciate the response. McMaster is kinda high. I only use them as a last resort or if I am in a real big hurry. I know where to get the replacement blades if they fit, but what I need to know is "do the new blades fit the old heads". Maybe you guys are implying that they do fit and I am just not getting it.

I would suggest calling Starrett and asking them.

Since Starrett doesn't put part numbers on their components, there's no way anybody here could give a definitive answer.

- Leigh

You could try a company called Transcat.com, they are an authorized Starrett dealer, even have a show room. I have used them in the past to purchase Starrett replacement components. Your not gonna save money here but you will get the genuine article in timely fashion, and good service before and after the sale. There are other out there too, second I picked Transcat cause they are 5 miles from home base here.

Hello -

I just bought and older starrett 12" combination square with a center head. The square head and the center head are in decent enough shape but the blade isn't. I was wondering if anybody knows if I bought a brand new blade for that square if it would fit with the older heads. I've been poking around on the internet for a hour or so now and have been through the starrett catalog and just can't seem to find and answer. Help with answering this question would be appreciated. Thanks, in advance.
all Starrett ruler / scale blade for a combination square are the same 1" width and same thickness, at least
all i have ever seen. A Starrett satin chrome ruler is extremely rust resistant and i have always felt it worth
paying extra for it.
i have bought other brands of combinations squares and found a 12" ruler is often not 12.000. i have seen
some over 0.025" off from 12.000"
The Starrett 12" combination square i have always found to measure within +/-.002" of 12.000 using a
digital caliper. When i want accurate and good quality i always pay extra for Starrett.

I purchased a new 24" satin chrome blade a year or two ago to go with my Starrett combination square setup, which is likely 60's vintage (bought used in New England in the 80's), and it fits perfectly. I don't think you'll have any problem.

I have a mix of Starrett, B&S, PEC, Lufkin, and Craftsman combo square pieces spanning at least 50 years, and they a all interchange just fine. I wouldn't be surprised if the blades and head slots were covered by a MIL Spec at one time, like wrenches.

I wouldn't be surprised if the blades and head slots were covered by a MIL Spec at one time, like wrenches.
That's probably true.

The Mil wanted to be sure that anything they bought from one company would work with stuff they bought from others.

- Leigh

Starrett replacement parts

I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask, but I'm looking for replacement parts for a Starrett combination square. Specifically a spirit level, scriber, and 12 inch blade. Any help is greatly appreciated!

I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask, but I'm looking for replacement parts for a Starrett combination square. Specifically a spirit level, scriber, and 12 inch blade. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Not what you're asking but I bought one (not Starrett) for about $10 in a local hardware store and it has all the "attachments". How good it is will depend on what you use it for. If I want "square" then I have squares.

I have a mix of Starrett, B&S, PEC, Lufkin, and Craftsman combo square pieces spanning at least 50 years, and they a all interchange just fine. I wouldn't be surprised if the blades and head slots were covered by a MIL Spec at one time, like wrenches.
The closest thing there is to a MIL-Spec for these is a "Commercial Item Description". Military Specifications are issued by the Department of Defense; Commercial Item Descriptions are issued by the General Services Administration. The Commercial Item Description document for Combination Squares is A-A-3179. https://quicksearch.dla.mil/qsDocDetails.aspx?ident_number=204653
This specification doesn't give requirements about the dimensions of the blade slots or locking mechanisms.
Prior to this Commercial Item Description, there was a Federal Specification (also issued by the General Services Administration): GGG-S-656. https://quicksearch.dla.mil/qsDocDetails.aspx?ident_number=52899

Not what you're asking but I bought one (not Starrett) for about $10 in a local hardware store and it has all the "attachments". How good it is will depend on what you use it for. If I want "square" then I have squares.

It's a touch odd that the moderator of the metrology forum is recommending a $10 hardware store unit to replace the OP's desired Starrett unit, no?

It's a touch odd that the moderator of the metrology forum is recommending a $10 hardware store unit to replace the OP's desired Starrett unit, no?

You got that out of what I posted in post #13? Where did I "recommend"?

The key sentence is "How good it is will depend on what you use it for."

Did you read post #10? That was helpful.

The OP wasn't looking for "an entire set".

You got that out of what I posted in post #13? Where did I "recommend"?

The key sentence is "How good it is will depend on what you use it for."

Did you read post #10? That was helpful.

The OP wasn't looking for "an entire set".
Yes, I read post #10 and it was helpful.

Your comment struck me as odd, that's all.

Yes, I read post #10 and it was helpful.

Your comment struck me as odd, that's all.

The first post in this 6 year old thread. The highlights are mine.

I just bought an older starrett 12" combination square with a center head. The square head and the center head are in decent enough shape but the blade isn't. I was wondering if anybody knows if I bought a brand new blade for that square if it would fit with the older heads. I've been poking around on the internet for a hour or so now and have been through the starrett catalog and just can't seem to find and answer. Help with answering this question would be appreciated. Thanks, in advance.

1. The bought set was old and used.

2. From the $10 plus set I bought the blade looks OK. I would hope everything in the OPs Starrett set is better quality but it was after all old and used.

My suggestion was a simple, cheap alternative and the set I bought probably wasn't even available 6 years ago. As I've already said, it all depends on what the Starrett set gets used for. If you still find it odd then that's your prerogative. If this thread was new that's how I'd probably solve the issue. You apparently wouldn't.

Side issue. How much does Starrett still make in the USA? I know for a fact that they have quite a bit manufactured abroad and imported. I've no problem with that as long as the final quality on what's imported is monitored. It's the reputation of the brand name that's at stake.

The first post in this 6 year old thread. The highlights are mine.

I just bought an older starrett 12" combination square with a center head. The square head and the center head are in decent enough shape but the blade isn't. I was wondering if anybody knows if I bought a brand new blade for that square if it would fit with the older heads. I've been poking around on the internet for a hour or so now and have been through the starrett catalog and just can't seem to find and answer. Help with answering this question would be appreciated. Thanks, in advance.

1. The bought set was old and used.

2. From the $10 plus set I bought the blade looks OK. I would hope everything in the OPs Starrett set is better quality but it was after all old and used.

My suggestion was a simple, cheap alternative and the set I bought probably wasn't even available 6 years ago. As I've already said, it all depends on what the Starrett set gets used for. If you still find it odd then that's your prerogative. If this thread was new that's how I'd probably solve the issue. You apparently wouldn't.

Side issue. How much does Starrett still make in the USA? I know for a fact that they have quite a bit manufactured abroad and imported. I've no problem with that as long as the final quality on what's imported is monitored. It's the reputation of the brand name that's at stake.

ask Starrett if you have questions. the chrome plating cause of pollution control laws many USA companies that used to do themselves now send it to different companies for electroplating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back