What's new
What's new

Surface gage / meter - what works?

GregSY

Diamond
Most engines use head gaskets for which the gasket makers specify a surface finish of 50Ra or better. Some gaskets are OK for 80Ra or better. This is for both cast iron and aluminum surfaces.

So....in looking at Ebay I see two basic types of meter / gages....the sort that looks like a dial indicator and the type that costs more and is more of a 'black box'.

Does the black box type work better or is it just fancier? Do either of these accurately measure finishes in the 50Ra range? I looked at the specs and it wasn't readily apparent to me.

Thanks!s-l1600 profile.jpgDeFelsko PosiTector SPG3-E 3 Advanced Body Surface Profile Gage 810257032392 eBay.jpg

I've never seen any like that, but have used one of these -

Test, Measurement & Inspection | Hardness Testers, Durometers & Surface Testing | Mahr Federal 2191800 Pocket Surf IV Portable Surface Roughness Gage EGH-1019 10 MicronM Radius | B580945 - GLOBALindustrial.com

I can't see a handheld gage being accurate, but if 50Ra is the best you'll need, maybe?

Also might want to try this, unless you need to get an actual number.

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn...Ib-PblZ0IdVM5uH3gXH0xpfq9aq3bWHBoC8JMQAvD_BwE

edit: that ^ one is for planing and shaping cutting methods, but they make them that have samples of side milling, face milling, turning, etc.

Those gauges are inappropriate. They take single readings of the height above or below an average. What you need is a surface profilometer, AKA surface roughness gauge. Those drag the equivalent of a phonograph needle (if you remember what those are) a fixed distance across the item to be measured and from the up/down motion of that needle calculate either the peak-valley height or rms roughness, as selected by the operator.

Back