Surface gage / meter - what works?
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Surface gage / meter - what works?

Most engines use head gaskets for which the gasket makers specify a surface finish of 50Ra or better. Some gaskets are OK for 80Ra or better. This is for both cast iron and aluminum surfaces.

So....in looking at Ebay I see two basic types of meter / gages....the sort that looks like a dial indicator and the type that costs more and is more of a 'black box'.

Does the black box type work better or is it just fancier? Do either of these accurately measure finishes in the 50Ra range? I looked at the specs and it wasn't readily apparent to me.

Thanks!s-l1600-profile.jpgdefelsko-positector-spg3-e-3-advanced-body-surface-profile-gage-810257032392-ebay.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've never seen any like that, but have used one of these -

Test, Measurement & Inspection | Hardness Testers, Durometers & Surface Testing | Mahr Federal 2191800 Pocket Surf IV Portable Surface Roughness Gage EGH-1019 10 MicronM Radius | B580945 - GLOBALindustrial.com

I can't see a handheld gage being accurate, but if 50Ra is the best you'll need, maybe?

Also might want to try this, unless you need to get an actual number.

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tnp...BoC8JMQAvD_BwE

edit: that ^ one is for planing and shaping cutting methods, but they make them that have samples of side milling, face milling, turning, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Those gauges are inappropriate. They take single readings of the height above or below an average. What you need is a surface profilometer, AKA surface roughness gauge. Those drag the equivalent of a phonograph needle (if you remember what those are) a fixed distance across the item to be measured and from the up/down motion of that needle calculate either the peak-valley height or rms roughness, as selected by the operator.

4. Likes GregSY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks to both of you....I'll look for a profilometer.