Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Montana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Surface Plate Moody Method Data Reduction

Does anyone know if there is a software app (Moody Method) available to reduce surface plate calibration data? Not being a Excel expert, I thought I'd ask first before wading into trying to build my own data reduction software.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I work for Vermont Photonics Technologies, we wrote some software for doing this a few years ago. The software is called SurfaceView and is specifically meant for using the Union Jack or Moody Method for calibrating surface plates. More info. can be found on our website here: SurfaceView
    There is a free demo version of the software, it is fully functional except that you cannot save data.
    If you are just measuring a couple plates the demo should be sufficient but if you are measuring plates commercially you may want to look into purchasing the full version of the software.
    On the same page in the link above there is a link to the article J.C. Moody wrote explaining his method for measuring surface plates as well as a link to the Federal specification GGG-P-463c on how graded surface plates are supposed to be measured.
    This software is still being actively worked on and updated so feel free to give suggestions, complaints, annoyances etc. and we will see what we can do.
    Hope this helps
    --Aidan

3. Likes sfriedberg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you for your informed reply Aidan, now that you have found this forum please stop by often and participate.

Charles

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Montana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thought I had looked at that package briefly. Could not find where to input manual data. Will it be able to reduce autocollimator angle data input?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by VPTC_AODONNELL View Post
    I work for Vermont Photonics Technologies, we wrote some software for doing this a few years ago. The software is called SurfaceView and is specifically meant for using the Union Jack or Moody Method for calibrating surface plates. More info. can be found on our website here: SurfaceView
    There is a free demo version of the software, it is fully functional except that you cannot save data.
    If you are just measuring a couple plates the demo should be sufficient but if you are measuring plates commercially you may want to look into purchasing the full version of the software.
    On the same page in the link above there is a link to the article J.C. Moody wrote explaining his method for measuring surface plates as well as a link to the Federal specification GGG-P-463c on how graded surface plates are supposed to be measured.
    This software is still being actively worked on and updated so feel free to give suggestions, complaints, annoyances etc. and we will see what we can do.
    Hope this helps
    --Aidan
    Aidan,

I haven't downloaded the SurfaceView software. However, I have a question for you. Can you get the original J.C. Moody data set to work in your software? NOTE: You may need to increase your edge margins to do so. If not, how do you validate your software? The problem seems to come with the diagonals and the number of readings required.

In my previous job role (prior to retiring from a large aerospace manufacturer in Seattle) I handled the release of all calibration procedures and software for the company. I found it difficult to get the Moody data set to work with a number of companies who made laser systems, leveling systems, etc. I was able to get the data set to fit into one of the versions of Federal software and had agreement with the Moody data set within .00001".

Ed

7. Likes georgef50 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by callab_frontier View Post
    Aidan,

I haven't downloaded the SurfaceView software. However, I have a question for you. Can you get the original J.C. Moody data set to work in your software? NOTE: You may need to increase your edge margins to do so. If not, how do you validate your software? The problem seems to come with the diagonals and the number of readings required.

In my previous job role (prior to retiring from a large aerospace manufacturer in Seattle) I handled the release of all calibration procedures and software for the company. I found it difficult to get the Moody data set to work with a number of companies who made laser systems, leveling systems, etc. I was able to get the data set to fit into one of the versions of Federal software and had agreement with the Moody data set within .00001".

Ed
    Hello All,
    I think I have read nearly every word posted regarding autocollimators on this site. It has been unbelievably helpful. I had the same question you have asked. Have you made any progress?

George

Country
    GERMANY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I know that this is an old dead thread. But I wanted to update it to point out that there is a C code available on GitHub which takes autocollimator or clinometer values as input, and computes Moody's worksheets. It can also generate a 3D surface plot. You can find it by searching GitHub for "moody surface plate".

10. Likes TGTool, Milland, Lumberjack liked this post