What's new
What's new

Thank you to forum members

Tallwithhair

Plastic
Hi,

I will never be in a position to contribute but I wanted to thank the forum members and the Forum.

I have been assembling measuring tools to blueprint my race car engine. And on every search I did on Google I invariably landed on a thread from this site that had the most relevant and complete information.

I do club racing and decided to tackle this during this off season. I race in a class that requires a stock engine so the idea is to bring every tolerance within spec to improve reliability and maximize power output. It would be great if I could find 10hp but 1 or 2 is probably more realistic.

Reliability is really the main focus as the engine has 200,000 miles on it and has been reving at red line for the last 30,000 of those. The accuracy required for this engine is 10th of thousands so I got a bore gauge, micrometers and gauge blocks. Then came the other tools that I did not anticipate needing like a quality straight edge, a good dial caliper and the gauge thingny that attaches to a magnetic base, and the super thin feeler gauge...

Needless to say the budget is blown but the satisfaction to make informed decisions from the correct measurements will be rewarding.

Important information I found on this forum is what to buy new and what can be bought used. So I ended up with a new Mitutoyo bore gauge, used Etalon micrometers (Wow) and 'grade 2' 36 gauge blocks with a NOS 'Grade 0' 3 inch standard. I'm confident I will be a position to make the right call on what needs to be refreshed and what can remain.

So a heartfelt thank you to all those that contributed to threads over the years with excellent information.

Greeting to you ..

QT[I will never be in a position to contribute ] You just did..

I hope you know I was just kidding about French Quebec guys all being crazy..I ice fish with a few and they seem to care less about the cold ..that is all ..they are Ok/nice guys ..and not crazy....sorry
Buck

I once had an old Evinrude opposed four cylinder out board..This engine type was used in WW2
Putting it up for sale a fellow came and bought it..
He said you will never guess what I am going to do with this...
I belong to a race car club and e use these engines with adding a cooling system to power our race cars..
I never found much about that because with not having the internet things were not easy to find.
The engine was abut 55 hp. I will try to find it on the net.

Back