Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Still don't toss it but practice feeling a jo block and then looking to see the correct numbers. Guess I am old fasioned but think one should read .0001/.0002 with hand feel.
    Yes I have frictions, clicks and solids. I may find myself at fish camp, in my shop, down in my basement, on the road, at my son-in laws shop.so a number of places I need to measure. And having accumulated a good number of micrometers I can have a 1 an 2 at a few place.

I teach my Boy Scouts how to use a solid micrometer and they get it PDQ. (Pretty darn quick.) 11 to near 18 years olds.

Guess if any choose to get into any tooling trade their journeyman can show them different kinds.

Yes somebody will say I am teaching old fashioned but if they can get .0001/.0002 with a solid they will be able to get the same with a click or friction.

Also I teach to not pound the anvil every time to check/set zero but check on a near size jo block, perhaps 250/500 and 750 for a 1 inch.. I have seen old micrometers that check zero off, and at a size check ok..Because they were zero checked a million times and all the rest of the thread is still good.

How often do you check a zero or .001 part ...not very often except to check a shim.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

s
    Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post
    Still don't toss it but practice feeling a jo block and then looking to see the correct numbers. Guess I am old fasioned but think one should read .0001/.0002 with hand feel.
    Yes I have frictions, clicks and solids. I may find myself at fish camp, in my shop, down in my basement, on the road, at my son-in laws shop.so a number of places I need to measure. And having accumulated a good number of micrometers I can have a 1 an 2 at a few place.

I teach my Boy Scouts how to use a solid micrometer and they get it PDQ. (Pretty darn quick.) 11 to near 18 years olds.

Guess if any choose to get into any tooling trade their journeyman can show them different kinds.

Yes somebody will say I am teaching old fashioned but if they can get .0001/.0002 with a solid they will be able to get the same with a click or friction.

Also I teach to not pound the anvil every time to check/set zero but check on a near size jo block, perhaps 250/500 and 750 for a 1 inch.. I have seen old micrometers that check zero off, and at a size check ok..Because they were zero checked a million times and all the rest of the thread is still good.

How often do you check a zero or .001 part ...not very often except to check a shim.
    I’m getting too many ifs and buts from your post. You might just as well tell me you don’t need to look at your speedometer when driving because you feel you are driving at the right speed.

I’ll annoy some but keep teaching as you do and most of the world will make better products faster.