Totally confused on older CMM's and what you can or cannot do w/ PD-dmis (for example - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Update to this thread... It has been a few months and I am happy to report that we have a running CMM machine on a really small budget! Picture below. New paint and logo (which we think it came out really nice). (for a Dad Son project). As a short end to this thread; We did replace the Y glass scale and found out/learned how to align & calibrate the mechanical and scale/heads sections. It has a PH6 that is rather worn but works well enough. We'll get something better as we go. PH1? suggestions welcome!
    We need to put some containment around it (walls) and see about keeping it environmentally controlled as best we can... but we can get there!

As a note to Jeff and Michael out in the Loon state, I just wanted to say that this entire project would NOT have been possible w/o some super great Metrology guys who took some special time for a new graduate trying to make a go on a shoestring... more like a thread. Super super folks in this industry!

img-4524.jpg
    Last edited by countryguy; 10-17-2020 at 08:03 PM.

Upstate NY -In the Flats next to the corn fields
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm confused. Is the machine a Numerex or a Zeiss? Did you ever say what you paid for it? I'm kicking the legs on a Starrett HGC 2024-16. It has an OS/2 computer. Dude wants $1200 for it. The OS/2 PC is a bit sketchy. It uses "Measure Manager" software.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

yeah... Since Zeiss bought them long ago... The kid elected to paint the Z word on he column. He ( I did too) saw one w/ Zeiss on the net post refurb.. The numerex plastic letters were all missing but 2. I get ya though... I like Stock to factory setting. He's a design major... it shows.

the unit was $450 and $850 for the glass. I called some friends in the Metrology space from years ago about what to buy on a budget that they ( and some Metrology parts vendors I used for the Haas) noted they liked for used and known quality. They guided me into a Numerex or Sheffield. Something about starrett was the line was bought by hexegon and shut down w/ no parts source. Anyway... No clue just noting what I was told. If you hit the ebay, Sheffield CMM , there is one for 500 bucks here in MI. ?

hope it works out!

Upstate NY -In the Flats next to the corn fields
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So you bought a factory scale for it must be, given that price? Some mark up involved there, where ever you got it.
    Ya, $500 or less sounds better for entry level learning. And the OS/2 software doesn't sound very appealing these days. I'd like to see you post more pics of screen shots of the software that yours has. I can't imagine ever having to need replacement mechanical parts for one of these, but ya never know, so good to know about the Starrett buy out.