What's new
What's new

Touch probe error

316head

Aluminum
Hi,

The CMM is a Mitutoyo Crysta Apex and the touch probe is from Renishaw with scanning option. This is a very basic question but I'm fairly new to CMMs. In the attached picture on the left, the stylus touches the workpiece perpendicular to the surface - an ideal situation. However, on the right, the smaller the angle "a", the larger the measuring position error. What kind of magnitude of error are we talking about here? I have heard that "a" should always be as close to 90 degrees as possible but as the head indexing step is 7.5 degrees, it is not always possible.

Attachments

• touchprobeangle.jpg
    touchprobeangle.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 112
What software are you running? Most softwares that I have used in the past will compensate for that kind of scenario automatically. Like you stated, this is not optimal but in some circumstances is necessary to accomplish a measurement.

If your software has a B89 Repeatability feature you could always try measuring a standard at 90 degrees and then index the probe and remeasure your standard and try and calculate your error by hand. This is assuming the software isn't already trying to do it for you.

Also what kind of force module are you using, Renishaw has a lot of different options. as long as the same amount of force is applied to engage the force module you really shouldn't see that much error unless your force module is bad. A pretty neat way to diagnose that would be to gram gage test the module, I'm not 100% certain but I believe the TP20s are built to register a point at 8 grams of force. Simply fix a gram gage in a rotating vise and check all the appropriate vectors and see if you have a blown spring in any of the lobes of the force module.

In real life, the error will be negligible, provided you're not probing anywhere near 0° (head-on).

Back