What's new
What's new

Unidentified indicator attachment

stevewatr

Stainless
Recently bought this Starrett indicator and am intrigued by the attachment it came with.

I'm sure it could easily be a one off special purpose built jig, but on the off chance it has a particular known purpose or generic name, I thought I'd run it up the flagpole.

Steve.
528436aae561835b6926ff81c48c0b86.jpg
26374a1eedcf62895618b2c4fea6193a.jpg

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

Almost certain it's a one off. Starrett made specials, but usually marked them as such. Seems clumsily designed to me as well - with screws on the triangular bits hard to reach.

Seems clumsily designed to me as well - with screws on the triangular bits hard to reach.

Hello,
The screws that hold the triangles sections in place are allen cap screws, screwed in from the top side, with recessed heads.

You're seeing the bottoms of the screws, and the high resolution pics make it appear as if they are set screws, but those lines that look like screw slots are just some optical illusion mumbo jumbo.

Regards,
Steve.

Looks like a custom made tool for measuring a specific diameter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Looks like a custom made tool for measuring a specific diameter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've seen something very similar and it was made for measuring large dameters. With the one shown I'm sure Illinoyance is correct and it's for grooves otherwise "flats" would give a better "rest".

Maybe something like that would solve some of the "problems" Ox has when measuring very large diameters. A combination of angle and a depth micrometer? It'd probably "only" require knowing the correct angle and then using trig.

Back