What's new
What's new

Usage protocol for precision plate measurments

joellapointe

Plastic
I saw alot of videos over YouTube that explain how to clean, lap, calibrate, manufacture a precision surface plate. However, I have some difficulty to get a general manipulation protocol for part inspection/measurments on a precision plate. Metrology training is important.

Is it only necessary to put the part over the precision plate and begin to measure readily?

Is there any measurment training, advices, written protocol on which I can rely?

I'm baffled at that lack of proper info on usage of a such fundamental instrument for metrology!

To take a metal part with hands, then cleaning it with solvant is enough for termal expansion-contraction to occur measurably (heating by hand, chilling by solvent evaporation)…

Is there any written "ways of doing" or a protocol when measuring/inspecting a part with a surface plate?

Thank you!

You might want to provide a specific example of a part you want to measure, and to what tolerances. Include what measuring tools you already have (height gage, test indicators, etc) so that appropriate suggestions can be made.

Also, there must be some good YT videos on metrology, that would be worth some time for searching.

Milland is right on. Your drawing tolerances or part specifications drive the measuring techniques, and your own knowledge and calculations of the thermal effects of handling or environmental conditions need to be taken into account for the specific situation. This often requires some "figgerin". CTE charts are readily available.

I think joellapointe is looking for rules of thumb, something an experienced metrologist would use out of habit or because of knowledge about what you should and should not do when measuring dimensions. e.g. use gloves or not, how long to let parts equillibrate, etc.

Back