What's new
What's new

Using machinist square as a hammer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beeser

Cast Iron
I commented in a woodworking forum about someone using a small machinist square to tap a small wooden peg in place. My suggestion was it shouldn't be done because the square is a precision tool and even though no harm may be done it's not a good practice. Am I wrong to point this out? In all fairness the tapping was done on the base of the square holding onto the arm and it was only slight tapping to remove a tapered wooden peg.

I commented in a woodworking forum about someone using a small machinist square to tap a small wooden peg in place. My suggestion was it shouldn't be done because the square is a precision tool and even though no harm may be done it's not a good practice. Am I wrong to point this out? In all fairness the tapping was done on the base of the square holding onto the arm and it was only slight tapping to remove a tapered wooden peg.

Squares are very easily checked for accuracy. And if used for wood, , well.....

If the tool still remains "precise enough" for the user, Keep out of it.

I bought a set of squares over 30 years ago. "Brushed finish" i.e. run over with a belt sander. IIRC correctly, the set was around $12.
I "tru'ed 'em up some with a file. All three are out on the work bench all the time. I use them for just about anything. They are really good for holding down prints!
My good squares are in the thin full width felt lined drawer of the wooden box. You stay out ! ;-)

I would never do that... but you can't tell some other people what to do with their tools or they get all up in arms. Especially those who know it all already...

I don't throw my drill or impact driver into the truck either... I place them gently. Consequently they still look like new even though they're several years old. Some folks just don't have much finesse.

It's true that it's "bad practice", but it's also true that using a cheap square that way is NBD as long as you didn't loan it to him.

Interestingly, the physics of using a square like that mimics some purposeful hammer designs, made to be stable with low-speed swings that are basically in the horizontal plane. But a proper hammer will have a handle that's much more comfortable to hold!

You Need A Japanese Swordsmith's Hammer - Crossed Heart Forge

I guess just about anything can be a hammer if you don't care about the results. Even some hammers are bad hammers in the wrong circumstance. Reminds me of the oft seen meme "Anything is a dildo if you are brave enough"

Old oil rough neck joke
Rough neck goest to the tool crib and says
I need a really bug wrench.
What size?
Dont matter just big
You cant use a wrench if its the wrong size , what are you going to us it for?
Im gona use it for a hammer.

I worked as a truck mechanic early on. Shop owner always bitched that you couldn't get a good battery charger anymore, "They're all fucking junk"! One day he's working on a truck and had a nut that won't come off. He proceeds to roll the battery charge up, puts the negative clamp on the bolt the positive on the nut, sets it to "Crank 24 volt" and plugs her in, a loud HUMMMMMMMMM and presto the nut starts to glow! Impact got it loose.

This on par with all the other stupid questions that have already been asked:

"Can I use chainsaw bar oil instead of waylube?"
"Is waylube even necessary?"
"Does it hurt to use a calipers for a jewelers hammer?"
"Can I weld stuff on a surface plate?"
"Can I use a visegrip on a keyless chuck?"

And on and on.

:popcorn:

I see people and friends use screwdrivers as punches and chisels all the darn time. Chrome sockets on impact tools. Cheap gauge blocks as spacers for machine set-up, etc.

Everything is a hammer in their mind.

Do you have control over what they do with their tools? No. Are you within your rights to inform someone when they are being a hack? Absolutely.

Last edited:
I'm in the treat tools right camp, but sometimes life conspires against you.

A week or so ago I had a flat tire. No big deal, I've to everything I need and the compact spare is up to pressure. However, the wheel was rusted tight to the mounting boss. With all wheel nuts removed, no amount of kicking, pounding, hammering the rim from the backside would show the tiniest amount of movement. So my last resort was the biggest screwdriver in the toolbox (yes, I keep one in the trunk) inserted through the holes in the rim to try to wedge between the drum (real wheel) and the wheel. Work my way around and beat the shit out of it. Twenty minutes or so of that was finally effective. I don't believe in hammering on screwdrivers but I'm sure not going to shoot myself for doing it.

Sometimes you just gotta get it done. If that happens to you again, loosen all the lugnuts 1/2 turn and drive the car slowly around the parking lot until the wheel comes loose. Won't take long, and won't hurt it.

Sometimes you just gotta get it done. If that happens to you again, loosen all the lugnuts 1/2 turn and drive the car slowly around the parking lot until the wheel comes loose. Won't take long, and won't hurt it.

Hey, I like that. I suppose now knowing that will ensure there never will be a next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back