What's new
What's new

Using USB Faro Arm to Create Basic Point Clouds in Catia

a2t

Plastic
Good day all,

I recently acquired a new-to-me Faro Arm platinum circa 2004. It connects via USB to my laptop.

I want to use this to reverse engineer parts by taking touches on the part and importing the corresponding points to CAD.

Im using Catia V5R17. I was on the phone with Faro for quite a while and they had me install a trial version of Cam 2 Measure. This software however is only intended to inspect parts already in production. It cannot seem to just export points from the part to use to actually create the CAD model in the 1st place.

The rep from Faro said there is a software called Point2Cad which can do this but that seems only to be for SolidWorks, which wont work with Catia.

So, what I need is a basic software package that integrates with Faro Arm USB and will allow me to take manual touches on a part and import those points into Catia V5R17.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

I'm not familiar with Cam2 but from a quick look at the product comparison matrix it seems that you will need the "Full" version to generate and export point clouds. If you only trialled the "Probing" version you would have understandably been unable to do what you needed.

If that remains a non-option for whatever reason, then unless there is an extant plugin/companion app for catia that you or I am unaware of, you're left with a selection of third party softwares that include this functionality.

Most, if not all, of the dedicated CMM inspection packages will include this functionality at some level.

Of those, PowerInspect is probably best in class for doing point clouds with a Faro arm. I don't know if they still do since the Autodesk acquisition of Delcam, but Faro used to offer PowerInspect as an upgrade option when purchasing an arm.

Thanks for replies.

Yes, Catia will allow for import of XT parasolid files. However, I see no way in Cam2 to actually make point touches and important that data. All its allowing for is to compare those touches to a nominal CAD model and prepare a report of comparison. I have downloaded the full unlocked latest/greatest Cam2 version. Also spoke with Faro tech support and they pretty much confirmed same as what Im finding.

I just need the most basic, cost effective way of utilizing Faro to make an alignment and then create a small cloud of touch points on a part which could then be saved as igs. Once I get to that point, I have all needed to build my CAD models within Catia V5 using that igs point cloud.

Further details : the Faro I bought also came with windows xp versions of Rhinoceros 3.0. Im not sure if that would be of any help. I guess I could buy a cheap laptop still running XP if that would allow me to gather the point cloud.

There is a software called Point2Cad which is intended for SolidWorks. I wonder if anyone knows if that could export igs file point cloud ?

It seems most of these 3rd party software are all doing too much, I dont need them to do anything more than create a point cloud igs file. My Catia can do all the rest.

I know you can export measured features to an xt. I usually do point/point measurement then overlay a scan on top just as a visual reference of measured part. To my knowledge cam 10.xx wont allow you to use the point cloud but it will take it and export it. We dont have a software to use the point cloud but i Think rhino has some capabilities using the point cloud. Not sure if that helps.

Back