What's new
What's new

Video Camera recommendations

Duc

Aluminum
Looking for a camera system that can have a crosshair added to the display.

I have limited space in the new shop and unable to fit a Micro-vu manual system along with the Fadal 4020. Due to limited space in the shop and not needing the accuracy of a CMMM system I was looking at adding a camera mount in the CNC mill to measure parts out to -/+ .002 or reveres engineer parts. Figure I could make a adapter to fit in a cat40 tool for the camera and use the DRO readout on the VMC to gather the distance between measurement points. This would not be left in the mill so reconnecting cables when the camera is placed back into the spindle is a none issue.

So far I've been looking at Keyence and Cognex cameras to solve the problem. I believe either would work if I wanted to measure the features using the built in application but unsure yet if I can overlay a crosshair onto the screen for using the mill movement for larger part measurements. A lens overlay may work also. But also ebay has some cheap video cameras for $150 with no built in measurement software.

Any suggestions for cameras or if cognex can have a built in overlay?

I do not know of any camera measuring standalone software, but i did see number of free/shareware software selections for cross hair imposed on camera image. I would rather have one with a cross hair in the lens to compensate for camera movement, and a relatively tight field of view. using it as positioning view for horizontal post saw.. and one for my mill.
The new cameras are small enough you should be able to mount it somewhere on the head, no need to even chuck it and plug it in, always on type of thing.

That is a great idea, just bolt it onto the head.

This software you can draw anything you want. I have done a cross hair and it works..
Download

If you want the center, you just turn it 180 deg and follow a point. Then you can draw the cross hair right in the middle.

I use the software with a $15 digital scope I got on amazon. Works great.

Back