What's new
What's new

Vision System

Northern

Aluminum
Considering adding a vision system. Have not done much research yet, I'm at the beginning of the process. Considering a Mitutoyo system becuase of there overall quality on other items and one of our customers has a Mitutoyo unit, which they are happy with. Thoughts or comments from anyone who has gone though this process are apprciated.

Do you want vision or both vision and tactile which can double as a CMM?
What kind of parts are you measuring? That would help determine what type of lighting you might need.
Then there is software, from essentially plug 'n play to full tilt PC-DMIS-type stuff.

Things to consider:
Part types and max. sizes ??
Large variety of parts ??
Features to be checked ?? Machines that incorporate both touch and vision will do things vision alone can't but cost more.
Speed needed ??

Most importantly tolerances and accuracy desired.
I would strongly suggest sending out sample parts and asking for six-sigma results.

All of the above companies make decent machines. Many other mfgs too.

The vision show is in Chicago June 9-11.
Bob

I use an OGP smartscope flash here at work. It has both pluses and minuses. On the plus side it is extremely fast. On the minus side the lighting sucks and we have to keep rebooting due to video driver board failing to initialize.

We looked at a newer model built in a bridge configuration that could be setup with a scanning probe. $100K for that one.

Not in the budget this year anyway, but we'll probably go with Mitutoyo anyway when we replace it. -Mike

Thank you for the feedback. Parts typically fall within a 6x6x6 work envelope, have tolerances of no more than +/- .0005. I'm not familiar with probing in conjunction with the camera.... continuing to research this.

Back