What's new
What's new

What attachment do I need to use a lug back indicator on this indicator stand?

The lower part of the indicator (I forgot the correct name) is 3/8" dia. The big hole in the indicator stand is 3/8" dia. On a really short travel indicator the cylindrical part may be too short to grip in the holder. I know 1" travel indicators can be held this way.

The lower part of the indicator (I forgot the correct name) is 3/8" dia. The big hole in the indicator stand is 3/8" dia. On a really short travel indicator the cylindrical part may be too short to grip in the holder. I know 1" travel indicators can be held this way.

I THINK.. I have noticed.. that my "inch" and my "metric".. have two sizes of dovetail in each tribe. Similar with holes.

If I have that much variation among a mere 15 or so dial indicators, there must be more than one "standard".

That's why I pointed to Long Island Indicator. They don't miss much of covering all indicators well-known to mankind, and a few more that were-never.

I recently got a lathe set up, and purchased the below indicator stand to use. It appears to have a tiny dovetail on it. I also purchased a mitutoyo dial indicator to use with it. What kind of adapter do I need to purchase to use the indicator on this stand? Thanks!

HFS (Tm) Magnetic Base Adjustable Metal Test Indicator Holder Digital Level 14" - Tool Stand - - Amazon.com

Maybe an idea. You only really need a V on the one side and perhaps a small locking screw on the other side? You could make something yourself and it'd be pretty much universal.

Maybe an idea. You only really need a V on the one side and perhaps a small locking screw on the other side? You could make something yourself and it'd be pretty much universal.

I'd not want to abuse even a Chinee disposable DI lug, stem, or dovetail that way.

A precision instrument, long service life if cared-for? Provide what fits.

Even if you have to go hunt-down one of them "Machinist" type folk to MAKE it.

But make it proper, don't have it digging divots into the metrology.

I'd not want to abuse even a Chinee disposable DI lug, stem, or dovetail that way.

A precision instrument, long service life if cared-for? Provide what fits.

Even if you have to go hunt-down one of them "Machinist" type folk to MAKE it.

But make it proper, don't have it digging divots into the metrology.

Using a screw in "soft" steel or brass didn't occur to you?

Back