What's new
What's new

What is Webber "CRO.-ST." ??

Straightedge

Hot Rolled
I'm looking at a set of Webber gage blocks on ebay, and the material stated on the label is "CRO.-ST." In a shop I once worked, we had a set of Webber Croblox, and the label clearly said "CROBLOX," so I'm pretty sure these aren't that. Are these gages steel hardened by the addition of a little chromium, or do they contain enough that they are effectively stainless gages?

For the answer to the Cr content, call Webber or Starrett. If you are planning on really using these in a metrology situation then get the seller to agree to take them back if they don't pass calibration. I have bought 2 sets on E bay and neither passed. When I complained they sai Oh here's your money back an just keep them. They obviously knew they were junk from the get-go. And one of these sets was Cro-blox.

I suspect the seller means Croblox, but you'd have to check to make sure. Seems to me the only blocks Webber made were a regular grade, the high chrome Croblox, and carbide.

I suspect the seller means Croblox, but you'd have to check to make sure. Seems to me the only blocks Webber made were a regular grade, the high chrome Croblox, and carbide.

Just to clarify, it's not the seller's description that says "CRO.-ST.," it's the original Starrett-Webber label with the serial number of the set, etc....hence my confusion.

Part of the set is croblox & part of the set is steel.The smaller blocks will be croblox,up to a certain size,then from there up they will be steel.

Metal slave that'a not necessarily true. my set is all Cro blox. I think in the standard set the blocks over 1 inch are steel but it can be had all Croblox. Starrett will make anything you are willing to pay for.

Metal slave, I looked at that set and you may be right. The larger blocks do not shine like Croblox. Seller says they are in "unused condition" and the label says they were made in 1975. Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Starrett's gauge blocks labeled Webber croblox® are a chromium carbide material. I'm not familiar with "Cro-Stl", but agree with others that it's probably just a high-chrome steel alloy that they now just refer to as "steel" in their current catalog that I'm looking at.

When you see "CRO.-STL." it is the Croblox/Steel economy package.Saves you a thousand or so bucks not going all croblox,especially on the larger gages like 2",3" & 4"

Back