Where to find foaming surface plate cleaner?
Close
Login to Your Account
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Where to find foaming surface plate cleaner?

There are plenty of references in this forum to foaming surface plate cleaner, but now that I'm trying to buy some I can't seem to locate any.
    A few jobs ago we used DoAll gage block cleaner in a spray can with success. The description mentions "Cleaner is specially formulated with lubricity agents" and the MSDS mentions soybean oil. While I've never noticed an issue, that doesn't seem like the right thing to be spraying on a granite plate.
    Does anyone else have another spray on foaming cleaner they like?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's not foaming, and not sure why a surface plate cleaner needs to be, but I've used the surface plate cleaner from Starrett for many years without any fails. I don't know what's in it or why it works perfectly, but it does. Afterwards it's like the table is new all over again. Give it a try.

Dave

3. Likes tdmidget liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'll second the Starrett cleaner. We have used it for years.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Don over at Suburban tools recommends household ammonia.

Jump to about 3 minutes in to get past the humour.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Honestly its granite, anything but strong acids won't bother it, even then some granites are reasonably acid resistant, but spilling a half pint of hydrofluric is a problem.

I have had good luck with the foaming computer based cleaners, they remove coolant residues and oils really well, they do have some amonia and they even work on old dried out cosmaline. The foaming nature realy kinda lifts dirt out of any textured surfaces, thats kinda the idea behind it.

Don't know if you get it over there but Ambersil foaming cleaner works great, can will go a fair old way too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a few aerosol cans of DoAll Kleen-Surf cleaner left, and it is of the foam type.
    I like it better than the Starret, but for the life of me can't find these anymore in the aerosol format.
    They still make it in bottles, but do not know if it is still of the foam type. DoALL Kleen-Surf DoALL Sawing

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There are commercial spray and liquid solutions that work; I'll bet Starrett outsells all of them. Some use window cleaner.
    But I use plain lanolin hand cleaner, and lintless knit cloth. Ammonia maybe twice a year.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzert View Post
    Don over at Suburban tools recommends household ammonia.
    Love Don to death, but now your plate smells like cat piss.

10. Likes stevewatr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This thread brings to mind a question I had.

Care and cleaning of a cast iron surface plate. I picked up a nice one a while back.

Cleanings a no brainer, but the cleaner it is, the faster it oxidizes. So I keep it sprayed with a lith film of lithium grease between uses. I'm thinking of maybe making a cover.

I've seen plywood ones, but wood holds moisture.

Any ideas?

Steve.

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

Country
    LATVIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I bought a cast iron surface plate couple years ago from Switzerland, and it came with a shop made aluminum cover, there was and still is a sheet of thick paper under the cover, sort of like cooking paper, I use it for spotting with dykem hi-spot, clean with mineral spirits, not a spot of rust on it so far

13. Likes stevewatr, Toolmaker51 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Plain old aerosol glass cleaner seems to work well on granite, acetone cleans real well but isn't real friendly odor or health wise. All I'm looking for is a dust and oil free surface so the tools slide on the surface without scratching.
    For cast iron; I worked for a government contractor that had several and BonAmi powder cleanser was the cleaner everyone used on those iron plates. Those were used 24/7 years on end and don't remember any particular wear issues caused by it.
    Dan

15. Likes stevewatr, Toolmaker51 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 13engines View Post
    It's not foaming, and not sure why a surface plate cleaner needs to be, but I've used the surface plate cleaner from Starrett for many years without any fails. I don't know what's in it or why it works perfectly, but it does. Afterwards it's like the table is new all over again. Give it a try.

Dave
    Also I found that it will clean Mics and other instruments without any harm. Mine have a knurled thimble that would fill with dirt and goo. It cleaned them perfectly.

17. Likes stevewatr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Danny VanVoorn View Post
    Plain old aerosol glass cleaner seems to work well on granite, acetone cleans real well but isn't real friendly odor or health wise. All I'm looking for is a dust and oil free surface so the tools slide on the surface without scratching.
    For cast iron; I worked for a government contractor that had several and BonAmi powder cleanser was the cleaner everyone used on those iron plates. Those were used 24/7 years on end and don't remember any particular wear issues caused by it.
    Dan
    Kind to think of it, the aerosol spray on glass cleaner I buy at NAPA called Sprayway is a foaming cleaner! Judging by the smell, its ammonia based. Never thought to try it on tools before. Thanks!

Steve.

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am certain the surface plate cleaner Rock Of Ages sold was rebranded Dow 409 bathroom cleaner.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

it's not a foaming cleaner, but we have no complaints so far...

we bought a special bottle of Simple Green surface plate cleaner. After that first bottleran out, we just used regular Simple Green (diluted)....ta da.