Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Iowa
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by plastikdreams View Post
    No I don't think I have to be honest but I do have experience with metrology equipment from hand tools though vision systems. I guess I never had a question that wasn't able to be answered at work.
    Perhaps I'm in exception here, but my thought here is that one doesn't need to be a highly knowledgeable authority on a given subject to be a moderator... after all, sharing knowledge and experience is what a forum is for... those that know everything, have nothing to learn here, right?

I think the key to being an effective moderator, is probably to be moderate, and to be able to keep the threads on category, useful, and polite.

As for HOW it is done, I think it improper to 'edit' someone's posting, at least, without adding clear editing marks, for a simple reason: When making an unidentified edit, it effectively changes what was written, hence, wrongfully attributing words to that individual.

IMO, a forum is no different than any other publication in editing policy: if a person edits another's work, it is imperative that the edit be very clearly attributed to the editor, so that the original cannot be distorted from the original author's hand, and cannot be misrepresented as a result of being 'taken out of context'.

It is wiser, in this regard, to simply identify it as having been deleted altogether.

2. Likes neilho, Mud, Yan Wo, Eric M liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveKamp View Post
    I think the key to being an effective moderator, is probably to be moderate, and to be able to keep the threads on category, useful, and polite.
    Spot on. The moderator's job is a people-management task. Manners and behaviour more than technical content.

The LESS a moderator becomes personally involved in the technical stream of information, the more adept at seeing to it NO one person dominates, trolls, takes personal advantage?

The higher the quality of the sharing, the more interesting the content, and the more frequently and painlessly - even amicably - it is contributed.

A good Moderator does not see a forum as his "home". A place to be coveted and defended against intrusion.

He sees it as a public classroom or lecture hall meant to be kept rented-out. An active place for 'many" to come and go in a steady stream, the more traffic in shared knowledge, the better - differing points of view among the most valuable of all.

No differences? Folks expect to be hassled "unduly"? Such that they conform. Pretend to conform? Or just stay away?

Well.

Hell.

If the lot of those who remain are but clones who cannot or WILL not explore options?

That's "redundant",

May as well fire the lot of them and book a savings on server bandwidth, yah?

That is common on the internet. Too damned "common".

But it ain't PM's "way".

4. Likes Eric M liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveKamp View Post
    Perhaps I'm in exception here, but my thought here is that one doesn't need to be a highly knowledgeable authority on a given subject to be a moderator... after all, sharing knowledge and experience is what a forum is for... those that know everything, have nothing to learn here, right?

As for HOW it is done, I think it improper to 'edit' someone's posting, at least, without adding clear editing marks, for a simple reason: When making an unidentified edit, it effectively changes what was written, hence, wrongfully attributing words to that individual.

IMO, a forum is no different than any other publication in editing policy: if a person edits another's work, it is imperative that the edit be very clearly attributed to the editor, so that the original cannot be distorted from the original author's hand, and cannot be misrepresented as a result of being 'taken out of context'.

It is wiser, in this regard, to simply identify it as having been deleted altogether.
    Yes this is correct. The job of moderator doesn't "have to" require knowledge on the subject at all. Although it does help to have a little experience to make it easier to keep things on track.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes this is correct. The job of moderator doesn't "have to" require knowledge on the subject at all. Although it does help to have a little experience to make it easier to keep things on track.
    How can things be kept on track with a little or no knowledge of the subject?

You certainly underestimate what being a good moderator requires. No name mentioned but PM did have one moderator that fitted that description.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    How can things be kept on track with a little or no knowledge of the subject?

You certainly underestimate what being a good moderator requires. No name mentioned but PM did have one moderator that fitted that description.
    It doesn't take a genius to see when a thread is going south or if a post is inappropriate. The title is moderator not technical advisor lol. Like I said, it's good to have knowledge of the topic but really how many people are going to know everything about everything.

8. Likes barbter, Eric M, Ox liked this post
    Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And there you go again.
    Repeat;- Seek professional help...

10. Likes camscan, Mcgyver, Dualkit liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It doesn't take a genius to see when a thread is going south or if a post is inappropriate. The title is moderator not technical advisor lol. Like I said, it's good to have knowledge of the topic but really how many people are going to know everything about everything.
    I'm wasting my time when you don't know the difference between not needing to know anything and "know everything about everything".

Who the hell knows everything about everything?

Rubbish like you are posting and barbter's trolling makes finding a moderator more and more important. Anybody with a genuine interest in metrology can see that.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm wasting my time when you don't know the difference between not needing to know anything and "know everything about everything".

Who the hell knows everything about everything?

Rubbish like you are posting and barbter's trolling makes finding a moderator more and more important. Anybody with a genuine interest in metrology can see that.
    Again I'm not sure where you are going with that post...Ive laid out reasons why one doesn't need to be a metrology expert and also said it's good to have someone who does have experience. Your comments don't follow what I've said. You may think it's rubbish but in the world of internet forums that's the way it is. I'm sure you have seen examples of this in your travels.

Ymmv

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've known great engineering managers that were no way "wiz" engineers or deep in engineering knowledge.
    I would consider editing a post a big no-no. Leave or delete but do not change what someone had to say.
    The forum should be a free place to post a view or idea even if 180 degrees wrong,
    The other members will chime in and the mod should not try to control information he or she does not agree with by modifying or deleting. That would be an abuse of power.

I have no problem with a moderator acting as a member and posting opposing viewpoints within the bounds that all members work in.
    This means ability to change hats.
    Bob

14. Likes barbter, camscan liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm wasting my time
    Aren't we all?

But you didn't have to make a f*****g CAREER out of wasting OURS as well!

16. Likes barbter, converterking, Yan Wo, Dualkit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Aren't we all?
    Are you telling me we are all just wasting time here?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    Are you telling me we are all just wasting time here?
    Not ALL of it, no.

Dig enough aged manure, yah can usually find Nitrates enough to do a sewer line ditch on the cheap...

Crazy-glue Gordon to his keyboard and terlet seat, waste traps in Kolding don't risk going dry.

"From each according to his ability.."

19. Likes barbter liked this post
    Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

^^^
    We could do with the ability to not just like a post but have a LMAO smiley too

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    ^^^
    We could do with the ability to not just like a post but have a LMAO smiley too
    Thanks. I think. But t'would do yah no good.

Some think I am addicted to 'em?

The reality is a HELL of a lot scarier!

I do wot I doo for MY amusement. Rest of you lot are on yer own..

I don't otherwise much give a damn if the incoming is beer or piss.

It's all "virtual", so it don't stink, don't stick, don't stain the underwear any worse than it is already, and would tastes the same either way....

Besides? We don't get airmiles in any case, do we?

Welll.. maybe monopoly money printed on Legos?

You'd have to know the Danish Mental Health Service SOP when it comes to outpatient therapy for OCD cases? FAR out patients..,

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Not ALL of it, no.

Dig enough aged manure, yah can usually find Nitrates enough to do a sewer line ditch on the cheap...

Crazy-glue Gordon to his keyboard and terlet seat, waste traps in Kolding don't risk going dry.

"From each according to his ability.."

Says Billy boy with almost 27,000 posts

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    I've known great engineering managers that were no way "wiz" engineers or deep in engineering knowledge.
    I would consider editing a post a big no-no. Leave or delete but do not change what someone had to say.
    The forum should be a free place to post a view or idea even if 180 degrees wrong,
    The other members will chime in and the mod should not try to control information he or she does not agree with by modifying or deleting. That would be an abuse of power.

I have no problem with a moderator acting as a member and posting opposing viewpoints within the bounds that all members work in.
    This means ability to change hats.
    Bob
    I have nothing to add to this post,I think it says it all.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One of the better ways to moderate is to look at it as you are pretty much a regular member but with some extra abilities. One thing is you have to be indiscriminate between friends and non friends. It's all common sense really.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One of the better ways to moderate is to look at it as you are pretty much a regular member but with some extra abilities. One thing is you have to be indiscriminate between friends and non friends. It's all common sense really.
    You were doing OK there and then you bugger it all up by suggesting common sense. I don't want common sense, I want(as in demand) the job.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Look just cause I said it doesn't mean I have it...it's not very common yaknow

27. Likes camscan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

^^^
    I know you believe you you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant.

29. Likes plastikdreams, DrHook liked this post