Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Luke.kerbey View Post
    I stand corrected, after some googling I found out that mitutoyo do manufacture some less accurate lines in China to enable them to be competitive with Starrett who also manufacture in China.
    I might be wrong but I doubt if any manufacturer of electronic measuring equipment don't buy at least chips made in China.

Try even looking at the plastic box measuring instruments are in and you'll probably see most are identical except some have a brand name. Buy enough and that doesn't cost extra.

For better and worse outsourcing is here to stay.

I know this thread isn't about electronic measuring equipment (just micrometers) but maybe "good to know" for some.

Getting back on track I can buy a NEW micrometer here (changeable inserts) from 0 - 100mm for Euro €150 and from 100 - 200mm for Euro €225. I'd imagine it'd be much the same in Croatia.

Country
    CROATIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    I might be wrong but I doubt if any manufacturer of electronic measuring equipment don't buy at least chips made in China.

Try even looking at the plastic box measuring instruments are in and you'll probably see most are identical except some have a brand name. Buy enough and that doesn't cost extra.

For better and worse outsourcing is here to stay.

I know this thread isn't about electronic measuring equipment (just micrometers) but maybe "good to know" for some.

Getting back on track I can buy a NEW micrometer here (changeable inserts) from 0 - 100mm for Euro €150 and from 100 - 200mm for Euro €225. I'd imagine it'd be much the same in Croatia.
    Depends on the brand but most o the sellers in croatia will try to rip you off. Not all but most of them. Some brands and equipment I can simpy forget about it because they are waaaaaaay to much expensive or they will look at you like you are asking them for potion of life.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by brane View Post
    Depends on the brand but most o the sellers in croatia will try to rip you off. Not all but most of them. Some brands and equipment I can simpy forget about it because they are waaaaaaay to much expensive or they will look at you like you are asking them for potion of life.
    Maybe Austria or Hungary would be better?

I'm sending you an email with a Danish company that supplies to the Nordic countries. Maybe they can help. I've always been satisfied with their products.

Country
    CROATIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks but im not comfortable with company that far away because of shiping, returns, ect. Does anyone know where Mitutoyo micrometers are made. Do they still made them in Japan or Brazil and China

5. Likes camscan liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks but im not comfortable with company that far away because of shiping, returns, ect. Does anyone know where Mitutoyo micrometers are made. Do they still made them in Japan or Brazil and China
    Mitutoyo micrometers are made in all 3 countries, the japan ones are the quality ones!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've compared the Mitutoyo Japan and Brazil versions; checking them for accuracy and feel. The Brazil ones were fine, with just a slight (and likely intentional) difference in frame paint color. I haven't owned/checked anything Mitutoyo made in China; but the Chinese copies (as noted above) I did check were inferior.

Country
    CROATIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the info Luke and Pete. Does anyone knows where Mitutoyo micrometer set 0-150mm (code:103-913-50)and their 103-XXX series is made

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My "hobby" is part time machinig all sorts of random jobs i can find and i want something that will last me for a while and is accurate and repeatable. I had Insize and some other chinese brands and didnt had much luck with them. I looked at some used ones and most of them need tlc or dont work at all and their price is too high for what they give.

EDIT: Digital micrometers are nice but they are not worth it to me because i dont need 0.001 resolutin or qiuck reading, and will spend a lot of time on the shelf since I only do this part time for now
    I have to 'double down' on my rec for off brand cheapies here. If these are not "daily drivers" used to qualify work for your livelihood, why sit $500+ on the shelf?

Personally, I think it's great you want to buy some good quality name brand stuff, but for part time use, meh I think you would be well served with some $100 sets. Do you have any climate control? Are you going to rely on the standards (if any) provided with the set for setting them, or do you have a good set of gauge blocks? Can your customers measure what you are making them accurately? Do they care as long as it works?

I guess maybe I am off on a tangent because when I started in the trade (as in I do this for a living every day for 25+ years) everyone told me I needed Starret and Brown and Sharpe. I scrimped and saved to buy that stuff, only to realize half of it was overrated for the work I was doing and sometimes chines is "good enough", with a few exceptions.

Telescoping gages (not used much these days I think?)- buy a good set, brand name or not the movement HAS to be smooth!

Scale/flexible rule - cheap is ok IMO if accurate, probably more personal preference than anything. I really really liked my Brown and Sharpe 6" with the nice little dots over every 1/16" or whatever, but eventually it got lost/stolen/trashed and the Fowler I have works fine.

Edge finder - Starret for me (but mine is old so not sure about the new stuff) because it does actually work better. You can buy a china brand for 1/3 the price, but if it isn't smooth and repeatable it isn't worth the second guessing.

Calipers - No brand loyalty from me per se, but I like the older Etalon dials. I don't care for digitals that much... I would not skimp here as I have used plenty of cheap calipers and for whatever reason they aren't the same (IMO) as cheap mics.

Indicators - personal preference I think. I know Interapids use to be the sh&t, but I don't think their quality is there for the price anymore. I have Federal (not made, or bought out now?), Mitutoyo, Starret, SPI. They all have different uses so can't say one brand is better than another...

Country
    CROATIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Trust me I have tried a lot of cheaper options and used ones. First i had two Insize sets. First time the standard were problem, the faces were paralel but out of center I could not check or "zero" in my mics, then on the second try the rachet one 50-75mm was barely working, returned both of them. Then trided some non branded mics and they were awful. I decided I dont have time for this. I was looking some used ones but the price was too high, they needed tlc or they didnt had setting standards and that means more time and money spent. Thats why im looking for some high quality ones.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Do not buy cheap,cheap is as cheap does. Surely you don't need all six sizes at once,buy them one at a time as you need them. Treat them right and you will never need to buy again. If you do need them all now then I would buy a quality digital caliper and use that until finances are available to buy mics,but still one at a time.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you want quality you get Etalon.

Below that, it makes no difference. Lufkin is just as good as Mittymoto. Jap crap

on the second try the rachet one 50-75mm was barely working,
    Umm, if you use the ratchet, I'd say it doesn't matter for you ...

Country
    CROATIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Etalon would be nice but we dont have much distributors of metrology tools in Croatia. We have couple of Mitutoyo dealers, one Starrett and others are basic chinese. If you want something extra you are gonna pay a big price and some compaines probably wont even respond to you unless you have couple of thousands Euros worth of metrology instruments. Yes i know i can order from amazon and sites like that but goverment is going to tax me 25% if not more so its not worth it

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Etalon would be nice but we dont have much distributors of metrology tools in Croatia. We have couple of Mitutoyo dealers, one Starrett and others are basic chinese. If you want something extra you are gonna pay a big price and some compaines probably wont even respond to you unless you have couple of thousands Euros worth of metrology instruments. Yes i know i can order from amazon and sites like that but goverment is going to tax me 25% if not more so its not worth it
    Find a new hobby that doesn't involve buying anything.

Try reading your replies to the posts offering advice. You find a reason for never doing anything.

15. Likes adh2000 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've had my say about buying cheap given your circumstances, but you insist cheap = no good. BUT then you go on about how expensive 'good' stuff is.

Just fuc*ing buy something and be done with it. Which mic set you buy shouldn't be a months long decision. Buy cheap and deal with it, or buy good stuff and pay for it.

17. Likes Gordon B. Clarke liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No name can be junk.. We had three apprentices that bought the same no-name 3 micrometer set.. They would not lock the setting very well and could not be trusted with not rechecking after checking a part...Bargain low priced with a name even if they come from China are much better than no name.
    Fowler is such a brand. They can be had for a very low price but because they have a reputation (name) to protect are very good for the price.
    No I don't think they make 0 to 150mm 6 micrometer set.. That is a shame.
    Here is a very nice hobby set to 100mm for only a couple hundred.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H2JBTBV...V&linkCode=asn

19. Likes barbter liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In Europe? Believe it or not, for micrometers, I dislike Mahr (they don't have very good resolution or feel). Etalon are always good. Never had a chance to use Bowers OD mics, but their ID micrometers are the best I've ever seen in my life.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post
    N
    Not really. Working with the size of frame necessary for over 100mm would, for small diameters, be unwieldy to put it diplomatically. Especially since most things to be measured are probably under 100mm.

6 new metric micrometers for a 0 - 150mm range can be bought in just about any country in Europe for around $250. Brand names cost more. It's only a problem if made a problem.

The problem is that the OP doesn't want to buy in Croatia, doesn't want to buy outside Croatia, doesn't want to pay tax, doesn't want cheap and doesn't want expensive. Everybody is out to cheat him.

22. Likes Mike1974 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    Not really. Working with the size of frame necessary for over 100mm would, for small diameters, be unwieldy to put it diplomatically. Especially since most things to be measured are probably under 100mm.

6 new metric micrometers for a 0 - 150mm range can be bought in just about any country in Europe for around $250. Brand names cost more. It's only a problem if made a problem.

The problem is that the OP doesn't want to buy in Croatia, doesn't want to buy outside Croatia, doesn't want to pay tax, doesn't want cheap and doesn't want expensive. Everybody is out to cheat him.
    Your first paragraph does not make sense. Buck is talking about a set of six mics from 0-150.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kai Kendall View Post
    In Europe? Believe it or not, for micrometers, I dislike Mahr (they don't have very good resolution or feel). Etalon are always good. Never had a chance to use Bowers OD mics, but their ID micrometers are the best I've ever seen in my life.
    I'd never buy from Mahr but not for bad quality. I don't know why but every (German) Mahr sales person I've spoken with comes across as both insolent and arrogant. Very unusual for sales people. Their products aren't that good for that type of behaviour.

I agree. Etalon and Bowers make good instruments. I simply couldn't state that any brand was "best" though.

25. Likes Kai Kendall, ronan liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post
    Fowler is such a brand. They can be had for a very low price but because they have a reputation (name) to protect are very good for the price.
    They (Fowler) have a set of 6 micrometers but for inch. I don't know if they also have in metric. I doubt it.

Fowler 0-6" Outside Inch Micrometer Set

That's one of the big advantages of digital. One click to change with most. Costs more though