Wich micrometers to buy - Page 4
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    ...every (German) Mahr sales person I've spoken with comes across as both insolent and arrogant.....
    C'mon, Gordon, lots of folks would say you come across that way as well.....and I'd still buy from you...

2. Likes Mrs Clarke liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I like the feel of the Starrett over the Mitutoyo, both very good.

but I like the lever lock and Mitutoyo still has that.

Seems at a time when I am measuring something hidden or hard to reach the lever is easier to lock.

So that would be the deal breaker for me, if needing new..features you like are important.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    I'm wondering how many makes and numbers of micrometers you have bought to be able to state that Mitutoyo is best?

That's an interesting question, more than a few hundred but maybe less than a thousand in numbers and so many brands.
    Once worked as a distributor for some top named brands.
    Mits are a very good bang for the buck and would be my recommendation while admittedly a selling thorn in the side.

Indicator mics are a specialty tool but if you make round cutting tools a must have.
    You can gut one and put a LVDT in connected to computer making it a digital so you can map that high/low and have the records or checks and part runs.
    Mics even Etalon, Mahr or other top end get used up and should be tossed. Perishable tooling.

I am not impressed when someone shows me their 30-50 plus year old mic. In fact I think that they do not update a basic used all the time tool.
    If you are too cheap to do that what else is happening.

There is a big difference in collectors and constant production users so views will vary.
    I think Mits hits the mark with a good trade off of price and life.

People tend to love and trust a mic they own.... that's so weird. It does not love you back.
    Bob

5. Likes Gordon B. Clarke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I find it funny when people worry about the cost of inspection or hand tools. Quality tools last a long time. The actual cost per week is less than a cup of coffee at Starbucks. In 1972 I bought a set of 0-6" Mitutoyo outside micrometers for my personal use. They are still in excellent condition. The cost per day of owning these is close to 0.

7. Likes ronan liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    That's an interesting question, more than a few hundred but maybe less than a thousand in numbers and so many brands.
    Mits are a very good bang for the buck and would be my recommendation while admittedly a selling thorn in the side.

Indicator mics are a specialty tool but if you make round cutting tools a must have.
    You can gut one and put a LVDT in connected to computer making it a digital so you can map that high/low and have the records or checks and part runs.
    Mics even Etalon, Mahr or other top end get used up and should be tossed. Perishable tooling.

I am not impressed when someone shows me their 30-50 plus year old mic. In fact I think that they do not update a basic used all the time tool.

There is a big difference in collectors and constant production users so views will vary.

People tend to love and trust a mic they own.... that's so weird. It does not love you back.
    Bob
    I've often bought Mitutoyo over the years but not so much for a while now. Just my opinion but I can get just as good at a lesser price.

I have some customers that want to buy Mitutoyo with my normal products and I'd never suggest they choose another make. There is a Mitutoyo dealer less than 10 minutes from where I live with a showroom. The people there I knew best are retired and it just isn't the same. They don't seem as knowledgeable as the "old timers"

9. Likes ronan liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bob
    As the vast majority of measuring tools here are company supplied usually relatively new equipment is used and available.

Often a company will give away "old" equipment when replaced by new to those that want it on condition it isn't used on the premises.

I suppose I'll never understand why some companies expect their employees to have their own tools with them to work.

Just in case I get misunderstood I'm agreeing with you Bob

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Back in the day I liked a Tesa 0>1 (analogue) mic although it felt a little "clunky" compared to some but it was very accurate and in the shop it had the best faces (measured with optical flats) over all other mics in the factory.
    But I do think the digital mitutoyos (293-344-30) are now "the standard".
    We had 5 in my place, and they all read the same to eachother within a micron (on Inspection grade gauge blocks (slips)).
    We used to use them as a fiducual on the lathes too - a few jobs where we had 5 micron (2 tenth) limits. Zero the mic on gauge blocks at bottom tolerance, and use the mic to measure 0>.005mm.
    Although it must be said that the things were so accurate, zeroing on the gauge blocks in reality didn't do much as whatever the gauge block size was, the mic would read it to within a micron...

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tonymor View Post
    We use a lot of INSIZE instruments at work. They work just fine for us INSIZE
    I think there were problems with quality at first (re a few years ago) but are since now pretty good value for money.
    We had a few digital pieces of kit at my place (and some lever clocks for the machines) and they were fine for us.
    But the external company we used for annual calibration said that they had more requests for repairs and thus scrappage of these compared to anything else.
    But then perhaps it's like Ford - there's more of them out there (because of price) so more "go wrong"?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bob
    I agree with this, buuutt... these days my own personal mics (0-6" Japanese made mits) get used so infrequently I expect to have them the rest of my career, and hope if I pass before the wife she will be able to sell them (with my other tools) for a good/decentprice...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Since we are talking about micrometers, anyone else remember when Mitutoyo were the "up and comers" (at least at the time, IN mid late 90's) and Starret was the goto brand?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    Since we are talking about micrometers, anyone else remember when Mitutoyo were the "up and comers" (at least at the time, IN mid late 90's) and Starret was the goto brand?
    Heck, I remember when Mitutoyo was looked on with a little suspicion in the 70's. I bought one with the rolling readout that served me well through trade school and into the first job. I had no complaints but when I expanded the herd I sold it and got 0 - 3" in Tesa's and have loved them ever since.

16. Likes Mike1974 liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    I agree with this, buuutt... these days my own personal mics (0-6" Japanese made mits) get used so infrequently I expect to have them the rest of my career, and hope if I pass before the wife she will be able to sell them (with my other tools) for a good/decent price...
    I don't know if the mikes you have are better but a set of standard Mitutoyo mikes (0-150mm or 0-6") as new cost $530 here. I don't know if yours are better than the ones shown.

mit-set.jpg

I can also buy a new set (0 - 150mm) for $185. Not Mitutoyo of course but still OK.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have seen the insize stuff and have to say for ordinary workshop grade tools, they are pretty good for the money. I love Starrett tools but never liked their mic's for some reason, just a personal thing. Much prefer mitutoyo micrometers and have been able to buy up a lot of imperial ones that have seen virtually no use, for very small money.

Again i think its down to the type of work that you do, and your personal preference.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ronan View Post
    I have seen the insize stuff and have to say for ordinary workshop grade tools, they are pretty good for the money. I love Starrett tools but never liked their mic's for some reason, just a personal thing. Much prefer mitutoyo micrometers and have been able to buy up a lot of imperial ones that have seen virtually no use, for very small money.

Again i think its down to the type of work that you do, and your personal preference.
    As you say, it's almost all down to "personal preference". I might look at other females but I'm sticking with the wife I have and I hope she does the same