What's new
What's new

Wilson Rockwell 3JS Weights

Dave G.

Cast Iron
Need the actual weight of the hanging weight of a Wilson Rockwell Superficial hardness tester, Model 3JS. Guessing the weights will be the same for the other Wilson Rockwell superficial machines of the era. I have found the weights for those on the normal machines that measure B and C scales, but not for the superficials.

Thanks

Dave

Just received the information I needed from a fine gentlemen at Bryster Meterology. For the Wilson Rockwell Superficial model 3JS weights, the following are correct.

#1 15 Kgf weight = 420 g including hanger
#2 15 Kgf weight = 600 g
#3 15 Kgf weight = 600 g
Total = 45 Kgf

Wear and other nuances may require a slight tweaking of the #1weight to fit your particular unit.

cheers!

Glad I found this post. I bought a 3js off ebay as it stated only removed from service due to closing and that was my selling point because I needed it working now without issues. Well it arrived with the 150kgf weight set from a standard tester. I'm guessing the seller found some weights or flat out lied since it couldn't work in this configuration. Did you find the weight set or did you make your own? I don't have a good scale so any help you can give me I'd greatly appreciate it.

I made my own using a digital scale. Bryster Meterology has the weight sets if you’re looking to purchase. A cheap way to get you going is to buy 1.5” pvc pipe with end caps and an eyelet screw. Only needs to be roughly 4 or 5” long. Fill the pipe with scrap lead, cap it off and drill a hole in one end for the eyelet. Weigh and adjust the weight by adding / subtracting lead until it equals the weight listed above.

dan

Glad I found this post. I bought a 3js off ebay as it stated only removed from service due to closing and that was my selling point because I needed it working now without issues. Well it arrived with the 150kgf weight set from a standard tester. I'm guessing the seller found some weights or flat out lied since it couldn't work in this configuration. Did you find the weight set or did you make your own? I don't have a good scale so any help you can give me I'd greatly appreciate it.

You don't need a high precision scale to make the weights. I made mine using a $20 digital scale from the drug store. If the scale reads to the gram you are good to go.

Back