What's new
What's new

Zcat Portable CMM

Kann1987

Plastic
We are researching options for a shop floor solution to accurate GD&T measurements. something that is simple and quick enough for machinists to use at the machine. We have come across the Zcat from fowler, and it seems like a really good option. I am curious if anyone has any experience with these units and could provide some insight into their usability, accuracy and reliability. Other options such as the romer/faro arms just aren't accurate enough for what we need. Thanks in advance!

Look at the specs carefully. I saw one of these at IMTS a few years ago, and thought it could be really useful for actually having a "portable" CMM. Limited working envelope, but limited cost as well. I don't own one currently, but I'm also interested in any user observations. I think it will give somewhat better performance than a Romer/Faro arm, based only on the fact that there is less effect from user variability. If specs also are better on paper, that's a plus.

We demo'ed one a couple of years ago. Impressive. If it weren't for the 40k+ price tag, we might have gone for it.

My concern is that I haven't actually heard of anyone having these, and after seeing one cycle (for the 3rd time), the movements look really janky, and I'm a little concerned about the durability, and quite frankly it's "actual" accuracy. Every sales rep is selling you the "BEST" product on the market, but are you actually getting?

Also, note the accuracy of any of these. I don't remember which one was brought in for a demo. It was neat. But most of the parts I work with the tolerance is say below +/- 15 um. So, make sure they cover your normal tolerances.

Back