What's new
What's new

Is ZEISS Calypso BASIC class worth it?

qc_tech

Plastic
I am contemplating taking a ZEISS Calypso basic class at one of their locations. It costs almost $2000, not including airfare, lodging, etc...

wondering if it is too basic for the money.

I've been using a FARO Arm CMM for years....with the latest software update, the reps said it would not be worth taking their class because it was too basic.

as far as the ZEISS...I have never actually seen a ZEISS CMM in person, nor the Calypso software. I'd like some training to increase my marketability. I think i've kinda topped out pay-wise in my job market.

The only growth I can see for myself is getting some training on CMM programming and looking for positions that are specifically CMM programming and operation. Most of the open positions I've seen are for Zeiss-equipped shops.

Another tidbit of info...my knowledge of Solidworks and Mastercam is limited to moving models around a little and snapping dimensions that I need that aren't on the drawing.

Any thoughts? any other sources for training? classes? oh yeah...and I would be paying out of my own pocket for the training.

Most employers are somewhat open to entry-level positions for inspectors with some CMM experience. Calypso software is REALLY intuitive and easy to pick up. I've trained dozens of people on Calypso, and I usually get them off and running (writing programs)within a week, with no crashes, and no fundamental programming errors. The only people who ever have trouble are degreed engineers who think they know everything already.

Thanks for the input. That's reassuring. I'm generally pretty quick to learn new software. Wishful thinking, but I'm hoping to walk in the door in a stronger position to negotiate salary-wise. But I probably have more experience than a lot of others out there in the marketplace, so we'll just have to see how it goes.

This sounds about as useful as taking a MasterCAM programming course and then applying to shops that use other CAM software. All it shows is that you can learn software and have a basic fundamental understanding of CMM operation.

Home run I guess if you find a shop that uses the Zeiss software.

The majority positions I've seen in my search area (and even outside my serach area) are specifically for shops with a Zeiss CMM and use the Calypso software. So that would be the one to learn if I had to pay money. But I'm trying to avoid paying out of my own pocket.

Back