What's new
What's new

What are these 10EE parts?

Crank caused me to question because the handle is a 10EE compound handle & pin-spanner screw.
Why does that the idler pulley's bracket have a potentiometer on it? And the solenoid; what it it for?

I'm familiar with my early square dial and none of these parts look familiar, except the pulley itself.

One more part: Not the clamshell below (I know that one is Monarch) but the other one?

attachment.php

I think the solenoid is engaged when the manual spindle lock is used, it keeps the machine from being turned on, when the spindle is locked.

Hal

Solenoid looks like the one for the back gear; there is also a solenoid that locks the front electronics compartment.

I like colt45 answer better than the one I posted. :) It's been awhile since I looked at that part of the machine.

Hal

It's hard to tell from that angle, but I think that is just another style of clamshell type holder with a clear cover to view the dial.
I not sure if I have ever seen a clamshell with a solid cover.

Hal

BETTER PICTURES:

attachment.php
[/IMG]

It really looks Monarch... Not the radius attachment, but what is it???

attachment.php
[/IMG]

What is that potentiometer doing there? (pic below)

attachment.php
[/IMG]

That is the right side pulley tensioner off a modular (or later drive) 10EE. Those models have a gear on the end of the speed control knob shaft that drives the pot. That small, gear driven pot should have a cast metal box that bolts onto that bracket and protects the pot.

Crank assembly looks Monarch to me, could be part of the radius attachment, or perhaps some other special factory attachment-have seen some similar accessories on Monarch chuckers.

That dial assembly looks to me to be a part of the long taper attachment or a part of the (related) tracer attachment. On the tracer attachment it moved the rail the tracer moved on in&out to align with the pattern.

The potentiometer looks like a homemade attachment to control a replacement dc drive. My equivalent monarch piece is a heavy cast iron box that has a metal spur g ar on it that meshes with the gear 9n the speed control shaft. The piece with the slot on it is the back gear lockout solenoid. The idler pulley bracket fits into the slot and the solenoid prevents the backgear from engaging if the rpm is above some set point. I could use the solenoid block, my solenoid is non functional.

John

The potentiometer looks like a homemade attachment to control a replacement dc drive. My equivalent monarch piece is a heavy cast iron box that has a metal spur g ar on it that meshes with the gear 9n the speed control shaft. The piece with the slot on it is the back gear lockout solenoid. The idler pulley bracket fits into the slot and the solenoid prevents the backgear from engaging if the rpm is above some set point. I could use the solenoid block, my solenoid is non functional.

John

I recently acquired a 1968 Modular 10ee in unknown condition. Well, found it missing the speed control pots and mounting bracket, as pictured in this thread. This mounting bracket has the rear idler pulley. John mentions the solenoid lockout, but one of the pictures attached below shows that is within the Front mounted idler pulley assembly. One picture is my modular missing this bracket and pots, and shows both idlers, the other picture is from a working 1964 modular at a local school. Note the lockout solenoid is buried in the idler on the right, or front of machine.

Obviously, I am in need of the pot and mounting bracket, so if it is available, I am interested.

Bob

714C13FA-2A84-4C11-8B46-8CD660B83F95.jpgE2E1EA78-D4F7-40A4-8D3B-98E61D31FADF.jpg

Attachments

• F361E620-A65E-430F-9864-35873B2CD4A2.jpg
    F361E620-A65E-430F-9864-35873B2CD4A2.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 39
I guess I was wrong about the pot bracket. It does look like it is a Monarch part, I am surprised that Monarch would have used such light duty pots as the speed control. Bob your machine is interesting in that the left idler looks like solid aluminum and the right idler is cast zinc(?). Both of mine are the cast type. As clarification, when I said the slotted piece I meant the “other” slotted piece with the lockout solenoid, not the one with the pot bracket.

John

Regarding the right idler on my 1968, the original may have been robbed and replaced with a worn out zinc ? one, as I see it is loose, less than hand tight even, and well worn.

As to the pot, there should be 2 on the same shaft, and as you noted, better quality than the one being discussed.

Bob

Back