What's new
What's new

10 ee Actual Weight

amoretti

Aluminum
Has anyone actually weighed a 10ee? The often quoted weight is #3,400, but I wonder if this is shipping weight with a motor generator, tooling and whatever the crate weighed. I saw a post that compared the 10ee to the Rivett and they quoted the Monarch's weight at #2,750 if I remember correctly.

I am about to haul a 10ee and want to know the real weight.

The older machines had cast iron covers and the Motor Generator is not light. Ask me how I know.
The large 3 hp motor is heavy. Taper attachment has some weight to it too. By the time you strip the machine down (tailstock, motor\s, covers etc, the older and newer machines are about the same to move around. I moved mine into my drive-in basement on pipe rollers (on a skid) and I can tell you it felt over 3,000 pounds. :D

Jeff

Peter, some of the options for the EE that many have posted about here on this forum are staggering!
Geared full length carriage travel indicators, Variator taper attachments, multi preselect spindle speeds, electronic power feed, crosslide compensated spindle speed control, several tracer systems and endless other options.
What would an EE look like with absolutly every option, How much would it cost? WOW!

Donnie,

I saw a lathe with a GSCS botton on the power control panel. I wonder if that's the contol for the "crosslide compensated spindle speed control" you mentioned? If not, any idea what a GSCS button would control?

Doug

I saw a lathe with a GSCS botton on the power control panel. I wonder if that's the contol for the "crosslide compensated spindle speed control" you mentioned? If not, any idea what a GSCS button would control?
My 71 has a "CSCS" button, which controls the constant surface cutting speed attachment. More information is available here.

My 1946 MG type with a taper attachment and without coolant pump weights in at 2900 according to our truck scales.

2,900 pounds sounds about right. My guess is that the later machines without the MG are lighter yet. I am hauling a modular with taper home from the Chicago area and will try to weigh it before I unload. Will post results.

Cheers, John in Wyo

Made it home with the, new to me, Monarch 10ee. Weight is 2,980#. This is a 1969 machine with an updated Monarch modular drive, has taper and ELSR. Weight is bare, no tooling.

The lathe is from Borg Warner in the Chicago area. Machine sat in a barn near Lake Michigan for a while which caused some rust though not as bad as feared.

So far everything seems OK. Apron pump is not working so will attack that problem first. Am reviewing old posts via the search option.

Uncertain what to do about motor drive. Machine is said to run but only has two speeds and Monarch is supposed to have said they cannot repair drive cause parts are not avaliable. Will order manual and whatever other info Monarch has on the machine and decide which way to jump.

I am really enjoying putting machine back together and seeing how Monarch did things-very impressive!

Cheers, John

The factory tag on mine also reads 3450#.

Yes, the Dodge handled it fine. I tied it down really well and set it on a 3/4 inch sheet of ply. Around the lathe I screwed 2X4s so it could not slide around. I took your advice Bob and put a nylon strap around the trailer hitch and then up under the tailgate so I could attach a strap and help insure the lathe did not come forward in a quick stop.

Today I took off the apron to address the fact the oilers do not seem to be working. Seems pretty straight forward so far.

Cheers, John

Boy- regardless of the Dodge, I'll bet it rode pretty SMOOTH!

But thanks for the idea- That'd be a GREAT excuse for me to get my meathooks on a late '40's 1.25T Power Wagon...

(But Honey- I need this to move machines!) :rolleyes:

Back