10 EE collet nose removal - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post
    Total length of mine, as pictured, from the left end of the collet closer to the right end of the collet nose is about 31"; 5-3/8" of that is what extends beyond the lathe's end cover.

Thanks for the confirmation. I had a 36" long knock out bar (from an unknown Monarch lathe) so I cut off 4 ½". Now I need to find someone local with a 10 ton arbor press. This is as far as I could get it with a 5-ton.

img_1305.jpg

img_1306.jpg

2. Likes ezduzit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rimcanyon View Post
    Thanks for the confirmation. I had a 36" long knock out bar (from an unknown Monarch lathe) so I cut off 4 ½". Now I need to find someone local with a 10 ton arbor press. This is as far as I could get it with a 5-ton.
    How much interference are you going for there, Butch? Once started you should be able to hammer it on, I would think.

4. Likes ezduzit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rke[pler View Post
    How much interference are you going for there, Butch? Once started you should be able to hammer it on, I would think.
    Hey, its a Monarch, over-engineered from the day it was born. I matched dimensions with the Monarch lathe work. It took about 8 tons to remove the knob using the hydraulic press. You can see the red lead they used as lubricant. My hydraulic press does not have 31” capacity.

6. Likes ezduzit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That is a shrink fit job if I ever saw one. Too late?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Likes ezduzit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rklopp View Post
    That is a shrink fit job if I ever saw one. Too late?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not really. It is easy to remove the knob using the hydraulic press. I had considered that option originally, but the arbor press was handy so I gave it a try. I should have known it wouldn't finish the job; I had already tried removing the knob using it.

10. Likes ezduzit liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What's the diameter of the knocker end? The bar that came with my machine slides into the id of the adapter. I'm beginning to think it's was for a different machine/adapter.

12. Likes ezduzit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My original knock-out bar end has a diameter a little under 1.250. My original collet draw bar has an inside diameter under this, I would think it's about 1 1/8 or so.

14. Likes ezduzit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jdub63 View Post
    What's the diameter of the knocker end? The bar that came with my machine slides into the id of the adapter. I'm beginning to think it's was for a different machine/adapter.
    I posted the dimensions in this thread:

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...od-sale-391377

but this is where it belongs, so here is a repost:

The design is very simple: the shaft is ¾", knurled 4" at the end. The knob is 1.237" dia. and 1.25" long. The inside corner of the knob has a .125" bevel, the outside corner has a 3/16" bevel, the knurled end has a 1/16" bevel. The knob is a press fit. On the 1940 KOBar, the knurling is a diamond pattern, .070" pitch. On the 1950's bar the knurling is a straight pattern with a .040" pitch. OAL is 26 5/16". The knurling does not have sharp corners, i.e. it is turned down to .755" after knurling.

One more detail on the construction of the knock out bar: the diameter of the shaft where the knob is pressed on is .625". If that is not clear, here is a photo:

16. Likes Jdub63, ezduzit liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yesterday I finished a small job where I used a 1/2" collet to face and then part off (8) 1/2" OD x 1/4" ID x 0.950" long 316 stainless cylinders to make 2 pairs of hinges for a custom transom door.

So today I needed to remove the collet closer, as my next project requires the 3-jaw chuck. A length of 3/4" steel pipe worked only OK, along with a lead hammer. But I intend to turn down a 3/4" brass pipe coupling to fit the end of that pipe, so it won't markup the collet holder(?). Looks like it needs to be turned to just under 1.365".

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cutoff a length of 3/4" galvanized steel pipe I had. And turned and faced a 3/4" brass pipe coupling for the working end so it wouldn't damage the collet holder.