What's new
What's new

1000 EE on ebay

Hopefully one of the 1000EE experts will chime in. I thought all 1000EE’s had an L-shaped base casting. This one does not, but it looks like from one of the photos that it used to. Didn’t realize the L portion of the base was removable. Maybe that is where all the C16J’s used to live?

Hopefully one of the 1000EE experts will chime in. I thought all 1000EE’s had an L-shaped base casting. This one does not, but it looks like from one of the photos that it used to. Didn’t realize the L portion of the base was removable. Maybe that is where all the C16J’s used to live?

The electronics casting IS a removable addition to the base. This is where the casting bolted onto the main base.

Steve

Attachments

• 20141107_225911.jpg
    20141107_225911.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 110
"original 20 HP DC motor"

20 HP???? What were they trying to do, take an inch of steel off per pass??
A common beef with variable speed belt-drives was they didn't have any grunt at low rpm. So they put a much bigger motor on so it'd have some pull at low speeds, like a geared-head did. That 20 hp is probably around 3 at 150 rpm.

The Lodge & Shipley AVS "Answer" lathe was the same way, and still got criticism for no power at low speeds.

Considering what people pay for crappy stuff, that one doesnt look too bad. Make offer :)

I peeked within this thread due to my overwhelming ignorance and was treated to thermite in rare form with this bit regarding overkill and its virtues . . . "After all, Nagasaki, Japan was remarkably free of substandard structures in violation of electrical building codes by 7 August 1945, whether that had been the primary goal of the 6 August exercise or not."

Good grief man, reading that resulted in me spewing hot coffee and some of it dribbled out my nose. That hurt! Some warning would be nice next time, eh?

I peeked within this thread due to my overwhelming ignorance and was treated to thermite in rare form with this bit regarding overkill and its virtues . . . "After all, Nagasaki, Japan was remarkably free of substandard structures in violation of electrical building codes by 7 August 1945, whether that had been the primary goal of the 6 August exercise or not."

Good grief man, reading that resulted in me spewing hot coffee and some of it dribbled out my nose. That hurt! Some warning would be nice next time, eh?

When you feel that mouth full of coffee moment about to happen go ahead and expell it quickly. Trying to contain the reaction is where the problem occurs. Its coming out one port or the other. The nose is the relief valve.
Just spit it out, clean up the mess, and pour another cup.:D

Well interesting how a lathe thread has turned into a history lesson. On the other hand, as a former Naval Nuclear Propulsion Officer with only a limited knowledge of the bomb side of nuclear design, I am always interested in learning about bomb design.

Edit: Implied but not stated, in looking up the 1000EE on PM I came across other threads about 1000EE and 13EE and the Monarch lathe that could hold .0000025, forgot the name, that was used to machine cores.

Well interesting how a lathe thread has turned into a history lesson. On the other hand, as a former Naval Nuclear Propulsion Officer with only a limited knowledge of the bomb side of nuclear design, I am always interested in learning about bomb design.

Lookup "Swan Device" with a convenient web search tool.

Edit: Implied but not stated, in looking up the 1000EE on PM I came across other threads about 1000EE and 13EE and the Monarch lathe that could hold .0000025, forgot the name, that was used to machine cores.

Maybe the Moore "T" lathe? I was given to understand that most of the Pu pits were machined on 10EEs. I worked in one of the early bomb assembly buildings for a year, luckily long after bomb components were in the building. When I was there it had been converted into a SCIF, easily done since there were no windows and it had 18" concrete walls (and, I suspect, a mostly 'blow-off' roof).

I couldn't remember the reference on the nuclear core machine, but then I remembered. Out of the history on lathes.co.uk

"Series 180 Ultra-Precision (PHH) contouring lathe was introduced. The first of these machines was sold on 7-25-57, Series 180 Model 1511. The Series 180 was the most precise lathe in the world at the time. It was mainly used in nuclear research labs. Approximately 20 of these lathes were built."

... the Monarch lathe that could hold .0000025"
I don't like to sound skeptical but .... I've seen facing lathes for making floppy disks, large slabs of granite with air bearings working on a fairly soft material, and they didn't claim tolerances like that.

How would you measure this ? And what does "hold" mean in this case ? For that matter, what does "tolerances" mean ? Roundness, straightness, size ?

Some claims are just unrealistic ....

A 1000ee brochure from an old post.
Copies too small to read.
Here is a link.
1000ee brochure copy
Is that the tolerance in upper right corner by the micrometer in blue

Attachments

• untitledhhhhhhhhhh.jpg
    untitledhhhhhhhhhh.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 61
  • untitlednn.jpg
    untitlednn.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 58
A common beef with variable speed belt-drives was they didn't have any grunt at low rpm. So they put a much bigger motor on so it'd have some pull at low speeds, like a geared-head did. That 20 hp is probably around 3 at 150:)

In a variable speed belt drive the variable part is in the belts. The motor always turns at the same rpm. So no the motor wouldn’t lose grunt at low rpm and installing a larger motor wouldn’t help. The reason the drive is losing grunt is because those huge vari speed belts don’t bend around the sheave and grip very well when the sheave is all the way apart at the low speed end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In a variable speed belt drive the variable part is in the belts.
Oh sorry, I fucked up the wording. I meant belt-driven rather than gear-driven, where the motor speed is controlled electrically and the belt just connects the pulleys. Not the belts with the sheaves that change size. The L&S and the Monarch (at least some of them) were what I was talking about.

There was a bigger Monarch like that too, I think. Websterville had one, about 20", but I didn't run it much. It may have been hydraulic, had a huge tank and motor and smelled like hot oil after an hour.

Oops. Sorry.

Back