What's new
What's new

10EE AC Electrical box connections

dinotom

Aluminum
10EE Motor/Generator Wiring Terminal

I am almost done re-wiring the lathe and having all the motors back in. I cannot find the picture I took of the AC Electrical box when I first opened it up.

Looking at the schematic, it looks like there are two jumper wires where no wiring comes from elsewhere to connect to the wire from the AC Motor. Is this the case?

This is a 1944 vintage round dial. Can someone send me a picture of their AC Box or confirm the jumpers are correct?

InkedMonarch_10EE_Image_SchematicACElectricalBoxArea_LI.jpg

Last edited:
The connections you have circled are the DC connections to the exciter and generator. There's no connections to the AC motor or any AC on the top part of the terminal strip. This is the motor/generator (MG) terminal box; calling it the "AC electrical box" is confusing, since that would usually mean the enclosure on the back of the headstock, where the main AC contactor (aka motor starter) is located.

Be aware that the terminal layout on your panel is probably not the same as what's shown on the diagram, especially if this is a newer MG (the type used on square-dial 10EEs). This link has photos of both type of terminal strips; which do you have?

Cal

Thanks Cal, bad terminology on my Part.
I found my original picture.

Monarch_10EE_Image_ApronOilLine_MGWiringBox#1_Original.jpg

Can you confirm the left side of the GS2-GA1 terminal area is left blank? It certainly looks like a jumper of some kind in my schematic. (Image in OP)
The lathe ran with this wiring configuration so I assume it is correct.

yes there is a jumper there in some cases. In other cases you can land multiple wires on a single terminal which accomplishes the same thing.

Thanks Cal, bad terminology on my Part.
I found my original picture.

View attachment 310062

Can you confirm the left side of the GS2-GA1 terminal area is left blank? It certainly looks like a jumper of some kind in my schematic. (Image in OP)
The lathe ran with this wiring configuration so I assume it is correct.
When you're asking about electrical issues it's important to tell us the type and vintage of the drive. Looking at your earlier post, I see that your 10EE is a round-dial with a square-dial motor/generator (MG) and DC control panel (not uncommon for later round-dials). The wiring diagram that you posted a section from is EE-3218, for square-dial machines with ELSR. Your machine has ELSR, but as we discussed in your earlier post, there is no neutral switch on ELSR round-dial machines.

Unlike your machine, round-dial MG sets used a MG terminal strip with 12 terminals. Each pair of wires from the exciter and generator had their own terminals. Jumpers on the left side of the terminal strip were used to connect terminals E2 to GF1 and GS2 to GA1. Here's what mine looks like (note that the AC wiring from the AC contactor--aka motor starter--is missing):
EE24315 IMG_3398c MG terminal panel.jpg

Square-dial MG sets, like yours, used a 10-terminal strip in the MG terminal panel. For some reason, Monarch never updated the wiring diagrams to reflect the new terminal strip and they still show 12-terminals. Here's a square-dial MG terminal strip:
EE38128 IMG_9941c MG terminal panel.jpg

Note that instead of using the jumpers, wire GF1 is directly connected to the E2 terminal and GS2 shares a terminal with GA1.

Cal

I never knew that the difference between MG units could be/should be determined by the terminal strip. Thanks Cal, it is interesting to know that this machine has a square dial MG set. whether it was originally built that way or if it was updated at some later point in time I guess I'll never know.

Back