UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jaymce View Post
    It does not have split brushes.
    Still a good idea to see that they are in good order.

An erratic FA relay seems a better fit to the symptom, even so.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Still a good idea to see that they are in good order.

An erratic FA relay seems a better fit to the symptom, even so.
    The brushes seem to be ok.

Forgive my ignorance "FA relay"

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The brushes seem to be ok.

Forgive my ignorance "FA relay"

Ignorance is easily correctable, MG-era 10EE. Cal Haines, Peter Haas, and others have explained it well. Not all that complicated - just stuff you haven't seen until now.

One just has to invest in searching PM and reading.

Meanwhile: "Field Acceleration". It doesn't actually "accelerate" the Field, it configures the field for the job OF acceleration..

It alters field power so the Armature's electromagnetic field can get a stronger "grip" when ramping-up or braking than the lesser power level as might otherwise be dialed-in to hit and hold an RPM in the "Field Weakened" range.

See also how a 10EE manages braking and detecting the LOSS of field-power.

Garden-variety relays of the "sensitive" tribe were adapted by adding external components to cause them to be Current / Voltage "aware" creatures, acting within a specific range rather than simple binary ON/OFF "regardless".

To compare to the familiar, the result is comparable to an automatic transmission in a motorcar determining when to downshift for a hill, then upshift once over it, or a "cruise control" speed setting being cancelled when one hits the brakes, yet "still there" when one hits the "resume" button.

A 10EE does that with just a few silly-simple parts. An automatic transmission? They were, once. Nowadays? Not so simple at all!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Pic attached

It looks like the DC control panel has been replaced at some point. That's the type of panel that was used on square-dial and WiaD 10EEs. What you have is a known problem with "Resistor B-E" in the upper-right corner of the panel. $30 worth of parts and you'll be back in business.

See this post: Start up problem with m/G machine?

If you need to use the machine while you're waiting for parts to arrive, you can jumper around resistor B-E, just be careful not to plug reverse the machine, as the jumper will disable the anti-plugging circuit.

Cal

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cal Haines View Post
    It looks like the DC control panel has been replaced at some point. That's the type of panel that was used on square-dial and WiaD 10EEs. What you have is a known problem with "Resistor B-E" in the upper-right corner of the panel. $30 worth of parts and you'll be back in business.

See this post: Start up problem with m/G machine?

If you need to use the machine while you're waiting for parts to arrive, you can jumper around resistor B-E, just be careful not to plug reverse the machine, as the jumper will disable the anti-plugging circuit.

Cal
    Thanks Cal.

Has anyone purchased anything like these lately?

Google search is not coming up with resistors that look like the ones needed. Links to Newark are dead or no longer link to the resistors.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Cal.

Google search is not coming up with resistors that look like the ones needed. Links to Newark are dead or no longer link to the resistors.
    Google HAS found speciality houses - eg; NOT Newark, Mouser, Digi-Key, etc. - as have the right ones in the right Wattage and values.... for all of a 10EE's needs.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Cal.

I checked the links before I posted and again just now. They work fine for me, using both Firefox and Microsoft Edge. You can always go to Newark's website and enter the Ohmite part number into their search, for example, L50J2K0E. Digikey, Allied Electronics and Mouser all have them in stock as well. About $10 to $12 each. Even Amazon has them!

No, they don't look exactly like the ones in your panel, but they'll be just fine, trust me on this.

Cal