What's new
What's new

10EE Apron Gaskets/Seals

Will McRay

Aluminum
When I removed my apron I did not see a gasket between the carriage and apron. I have read there is a seal. Can anyone share some information on this?

I also rebuild the oil pump in the apron and during removal over the two covers on the bottom of the apron I did not see any gaskets or seals. Are they any? Will a Anaerobic flange sealant work to seal the covers?

The project is coming along nicely. I have the lathe itself back together and painted, flushed, and new sight glasses. I have cleared out all the clogged carriage oil lines and replaced all the oil metering valves. Today I painted the carriage. The next thing is to assemble the apron and prime the pump. Getting close.

Thanks for anyone help on the above questions.

Will

There is no gasket between the apron and carriage. There is a seal ring at the passage for the oil to the carriage. I hesitate to say what the seal ring should be, as I am sure the one in mine was replaced be previous owners. I used my Precision Brand shim cutter to cut a ring of gasket material. I don't remember how thick, but I made sure it was thicker than the recess in the apron so it would be tightly squeezed when I tightened the 8 bolts.

No gaskets on my two 10ee's. I just used Permatex Ultra Black gasket sealer / maker. Just make sure the two parts are absolutely clean of any oil. The ultra-black will stick very well to clean steel or iron. but not to oily metals..

Make sure you prime the pump. I put Vactra in the apron and spun the carriage wheel for 20 minutes before oil finally appears at the fitting at the end of the apron. That would have been a LOT of back and forth of the carriage..
Even after the Apron was installed, I remove the ball bearing retainers on the bottom of the back side of the carriage, and tipped the carriage toward the front to disengage the piñon gear from the rack. And then spun the wheel another 20 minutes until Vactra appeared at the cross slide oil ports and dripped from the carriage ports for the ways.

Dual Valve.

Thanks for all this information. Believe it or not, Monarch says there is a gasket for the bottom oil covers.

Will

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a gasket for the oil pan, didn’t know you were asking about that one. I bought it from Monarch, but it was made of cork, and since the oil pan is so long and narrow the cork just squeezed out the sides when I tightened the bolts. I ended up making my own out of gasket material. Glue the material on with hylomar, tap around the edges with a hammer and the gasket cuts itself out. Then use a gasket hole punch for the bolt holes.

I then installed with hylomar and so far it hasn’t leaked.

There is a seal between the apron, and the saddle, together make the carriage.
The seal looks like a short piece of rubber tube. It can be seen, this seal fits into a counter bore at the top of the apron. This needs a positive seal. or the pumped from the apron will leak at that point before oiling the cross slide.
I am a hydraulics worker, so instead of using the original style seal, I used an Oring, by machining a spacer, that would raise the Oring up in the aprons counter bore above the surface of the apron mating surface .010". That will give enough squish on the Oring for an oil tight seal.

I worked at a shop that really took good care of their ee,s, they ask the crew to place the carriage all the way to the right, when done using, When cold starting, the feed gear box was set to a coarse feed, the machine ran a short time at around 2 or 3 hundred rpms until the feed rod running the oil pump in the apron, pumps up the carriage, and then carriage moves very easily. That also oils up the gear box, and warms up the tubes, if you have them.

Back