What's new
What's new

10EE apron internal bearings

focusrsh

Aluminum
Just thought I'd post this in case someone else is rebuilding a carriage.

An EE10 carriage has six internal, sealed ball bearings, two each of the following:
C88503: 17mm ID, 40nn OD, 16.6mm wide
C88504: 20mm ID, 47mm OD, 17.8mm wide
C88505: 25mm ID, 52mm OD, 15.875mm wide
They were originally "New Departure" brand.
Those cross reference with Timken parts 88503, 88504 and 88505, and SKF bearings. All are commonly available, but not inexpensive. A set of all six by SKF are about $250.

- Carl D.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is an area that I have only looked at, routine pulling the carriage top off. One I looked at was badly rusted inside from using water base coolant, Hardinge lathes states to use only straight cutting oil, such as the thin cutting oil for screw machines. Monarch does not make any recommendations for cutting oil.

I replaced every bearing in my lathe. I was able to get original New Departures from LocateBB on ebay, generally on the order of $10-$15 each if I remember correctly.

They are a great seller and have an amazing number of bearings.

John

I'm sure I over paid for the bearings, but I did look a long time on the Net. There were a lot of no-name bearings that would probably work fine, but given how much time and $$ I've got into rebuilding this lathe already, I went with SKF. Hopefully it will last another 75 years.

Ya, I hear you on that, it seems like every time I work on a machine and have to buy bearings, they show up cheaper. The last machine I needed bearings for was a heavy woodworking machine from Japan. It needed spindle bearings, the prices from my usual sources were twice what I paid for the machine, but, there is a good source, for hard to find bearings here.
Accuratebearing.com
Toll Free 800-323-6548 or 630-543-2100
Fax Toll Free 800-323-3116 or 630-543-2116
E-mail: [email protected]

Back