What's new
What's new

10EE Apron Overhaul

gernoff

Hot Rolled
Bit of a photo essay of the teardown of my Monarch 10EE Apron:
Started on the backside with covers and the half nuts. The gib bearings are shown in the 4th picture, they are retained with spring rings. I used a drift punch and a good whack and the shaft pushed into the bearing and the ring came right off.
DSCN2626.jpgDSCN2627.jpgDSCN2630.jpgDSCN2628.jpgDSCN2629.jpg

If I recall.......... For the clutch assemblies:
Remove the bushing cap from the backside, taper pin out of the bushing, 4 SHCS and pull the clutch actuator housing and shaft out the front side.
Keep an eye out for the thrust bearings and springs between the cone clutch gear halves.
DSCN2636.jpgDSCN2637.jpgDSCN2642.jpgDSCN2644.jpgDSCN2645.jpg

Most of the remainder of the process was to alternately drive the bearings out the front and back faces of the apron using a drift punch on the pinion shafts.
DSCN2657.jpgDSCN2658.jpgDSCN2659.jpgDSCN2661.jpgDSCN2662.jpg

I found on mine that the shafts on the clutch assemblies were badly scored. I cut off and threaded the yoke end to accept a new shaft. It seems that the taper pinned end abutment on the end of the shaft has to be fitted accurately to give proper adjustment of the clutches. I thought the taper pin was a rather poor design, so I fine threaded the end of the shaft and made a mating threaded abutment that locked with a setscrew on the end. This way the clutches can be fully assembled in situ, and can be adjusted perfectly using both the chromed front slotted adjustment nut and the new design end abutment. I was lucky in procuring a almost unused round dial apron, and was able to retrofit most of the pristine round dial gears, clutches, etc into my square dial apron.

Unfortunately.... I don't, but I may have a backside pic of the finished apron. Basically the new abutment is a threaded cap with a sorta large setscrew in the end. I also put in pin spanner holes, so that they could be adjusted installed. Once adjusted, you lock down the setscrew which bears on the end of the shaft and locks the whole arrangement securely. On mine, those abutments on the end of the clutch shafts had worn their respective bearing plates( bolted to backside of apron) oversize and oval. I bored and reamed the original bearing plates oversize, and sized the new abutments to suit. Here ya go

Back