What's new
What's new

10EE backgear/speed-reducer bearing oil supply

focusrsh

Aluminum
In a different thread, I posited that the front motor bearing on my 10EE is lubricated by fluid in the backgear/speed-reducer. One person commented that it isn't. Now that I have the motor apart, I have to question this again.

Here is a photo of the rear of the speed reducer. It has a slot in the lower left that runs from the interior, and it is below the oil level in the box. If you fill the box according to the sight glass, oil will flow out of the slot.

IMG_6337.jpg

The next photo is of the front of the motor. Notice it has a matching slot and a channel that runs to the bearing. (Red straw in photo shows the channel.)

IMG_6336.jpg

It is interesting that the top edge of the "oil channel" in the motor appears to be ABOVE the oil level of the gear reducer, so if it was suppose to provide oil to the bear then something is not quite right. On the other hand, the rear bearing of the motor has a grease fitting, but the front has none. If the lubricant in the speed reducer was NOT intended to oil the front bearing, then how did it get lubed?

The passage is to allow oil that worked its way through the bearing to drain back to the main housing rather than coming out around the shaft. It is likely "splash" / "sling" lubricated.

Your manual has most answers to parts questions. The surface behind the bearing on the armature is called "oil seal" #6 below, which is inside a closely spaced but not touching bore in the front casting. So considering that that surface is called a seal, and the front casting has a return passage in front of the seal, it is apparent that Monarch assumed that oil is splashed into the bearing, and any that gets through will drain back down the passage into the backgear gear box. I bought a shielded bearing and removed the front shield but left the rear shield on to help the oil not get through the bearing.

During operation there is oil slung everywhere inside the gearbox, oil gets into everything.

Screen Shot 2019-08-26 at 10.22.13 AM.jpg

Your manual has most answers to parts questions. The surface behind the bearing on the armature is called "oil seal" #6 below, which is inside a closely spaced but not touching bore in the front casting. So considering that that surface is called a seal, and the front casting has a return passage in front of the seal, it is apparent that Monarch assumed that oil is splashed into the bearing, and any that gets through will drain back down the passage into the backgear gear box. I bought a shielded bearing and removed the front shield but left the rear shield on to help the oil not get through the bearing.

During operation there is oil slung everywhere inside the gearbox, oil gets into everything.

View attachment 263896

What he said! ^^^^ :)

Back