What's new
What's new

10EE bad day

Still doesn’t match my worst shipping experience - I had a $500k UHV sputter system tipped over and totaled by fedex freight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ugh. I had a machine drop in transit once, literally in the last few meters. Fortunately the damage was less severe, but just watching this makes me slightly ill.

Not a happy sight, but they said that they bought that machine from a rebuilder? Seems like the sender's palletising skills are nearly as poor as their painting skills.

He sure seemed to be pretty upbeat about the 10ee. I'm like the second guy.........ten minute profanity laced tirade. Man that sucks!!

We had a fairly reputable mechanical contractor drop a custom robot about 5 feet a few months ago....rather than using the very well regarded riggers because of some small safety violation. Oops, that was a few hundred k. I now see the well qualified riggers at the plant again for all kinds of stuff. Most recently some huge dmg Mori 5 axis w/wallet changers. Things are like 11 feet tall and 20+ feet long.

Last edited:
There was also the Bridgeport that dumped. He pointed to a tiny hole in a thin pallet slat as evidence it was securely bolted down, but I'm not sure the machine was ever attached through that hole. Or how it could be, with the leveling bolt in place. There is no indication of a through bolt and washer ripping through. No sign of cribbing. Maybe just banding to a flimsy pallet? Does not seem nearly adequate for LTL.

I was able to read the name of the machine rebuilder who shipped it.

The 10ee came from a different source. It isn't clear how the machine was anchored, if. Cribbing? Bolt holes? The attachment of the pallet slats looks completely inadequate. It's possible it was just lifted too far toward the tailstock and toppled tail over head, then face (I could easily see that if lifted in the center with forks too narrow). Maybe a failure using banding.

I don't have much experience with using banding - plastic or metal - to hold machines down. In photos I often see one, maybe two bands, and no other retention. Given the limited breaking strength, let alone WLL, that is nowhere near adequate - especially as a sole means of retention.

Those machines never should have been shipped in a van truck, they should have gone on a flatbed where they could have been secured. They (not sure if seller or purchaser) cheaped out on shipping and that is what happens when the forklift monkees get ahold of it.

I moved my shop earlier this year, even though I specified "flat bed only" the van drivers kept responding with offers if I would just palletize the machines. I stuck to my guns and insisted on flatbed and door to door service, filled a 45ft trailer with equipment, only damage was the pressure switch on the compressor got broken off.

Not a happy sight, but they said that they bought that machine from a rebuilder? Seems like the sender's palletising skills are nearly as poor as their painting skills.

even his you tube wealth wouldn't buy a re built machine as anyone whos done one can testify the hours

Back