What's new
What's new

10EE carriage clutches

focusrsh

Aluminum
I'm about finished rebuilding the carriage on a 1942 EE10. It is all back together, but I'm puzzled about the clutches. When I throw the lever to engage a clutch it still slips very easily. The clutches are cone-type and just bare metal. I'm guessing they are "wet", i.e., soaked in oil. Is there some kind of clutch pressure adjustment?

This picture shows the clutch parts.

IMG_6084.jpg

Maybe I put it together wrong? One part not shown is a very thick washer, which I think goes into the hole on the right-hand section of the clutch. Then comes the spring, and on top of that, the small three-piece thrust bearing.

Ideas or thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm about finished rebuilding the carriage on a 1942 EE10. It is all back together, but I'm puzzled about the clutches. When I throw the lever to engage a clutch it still slips very easily. The clutches are cone-type and just bare metal. I'm guessing they are "wet", i.e., soaked in oil. Is there some kind of clutch pressure adjustment?

This picture shows the clutch parts.

View attachment 261665

Maybe I put it together wrong? One part not shown is a very thick washer, which I think goes into the hole on the right-hand section of the clutch. Then comes the spring, and on top of that, the small three-piece thrust bearing.

Ideas or thoughts?
The adjustment is via the threaded disk (called a "Friction Stem Nut", parts E6-30 and E6-72) on the outer end of the shaft (called a "Friction Stem"). The nuts are not shown in your photo. Adjust the nut in and out until the pressure is right when the handle is moved 90 degrees.

Cal

focusrsh, Could you post some overall photos of your machine and maybe a photo of the inside of the DC control panel? I'd like to have them for my archive. It's serial number 17454, correct?

Cal

Yes, serial #17454. Here is a photo as delivered but without the belt door attached. The electronics box was not attached. It is clear it was meant to be mounted on metal angle-iron bars, probably over the head.
Monarch Lathe 3-1200.jpg
IMG_0886.jpg
IMG_6105.jpg

Back