Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

címon now Bill, ya think I donít know to stone off a burr? think I donít know a taper ďshouldĒ register to a ten thou or less? Iím talkin bout shit thatís far gone should STILL repeat to a half thou or better, but it canít if itís teetering back and forth on a crapped or off spec taper, (or if itís not touching tapers at all like rimcanyonís), but it can if it sucks up flat to flat while locating on the taper.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cyanidekid View Post
    c’mon now Bill, ya think I don’t know to stone off a burr? think I don’t know a taper “should” register to a ten thou or less? I’m talkin bout shit that’s far gone should STILL repeat to a half thou or better, but it can’t if it’s teetering back and forth on a crapped or off spec taper, (or if it’s not touching tapers at all like rimcanyon’s), but it can if it sucks up flat to flat while locating on the taper.
    Hopefully, we ALL have the wit to stone a burr. It isn't ABOUT sloth. We presume "best practice". Or at least we hope we may!

But that "flat" still has only limited effect as to establishing axes of position and stability. Axial or "longitudinal" primarily and most obviously. Pitch and yaw automagically.

Radial displacement or "runout", OTOH is most specifically NOT even on its LIST any more than a faceplate has a "natural" self-centering action whilst a conical "center" has nothing LESS-than.

Grammar-school geometry, "101".

A truncated right-circular cone or "taper", OTOH? Perfectly healthy or somewhat less-so, it still controls ALL axes as to position. D1, A-series, L-series, Hardinge taper, Cazeneuve all make use of the cone taper first, a flat, if any, is secondary when used at all.

That basic. That common to all tapered spindle mounting and locating systems.

Make use of that to advantage. Don't piss it way.