Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 10EE compound

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default 10EE compound

I am needing a little bit more travel from my 10EE compound rest. is there a way to remove the stop to allow more travel? thanks...Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What stop? So far as I know you're just running into the nut.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

By backing out the compound further it would allow me to have more travel when feeding in.I hope this makes sense.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am trying to back the compound out past whatever is stopping it.There is nothing wrong with the compound. turning the handle CCW.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Are you getting more than a couple of revolutions before you contact the stop, if so it’s not the threading stop?

Are you trying to face a large part to the center?

Otherwise, you are at the mechanical limits of the machine, unsure if you made a spacer to go under the handle if you could actually machine to the center of your part?

Usually, you would just shift the tool post or compound to allow the tool to cut the larger diameter......post some pictures of your setup?

Kevin

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here's an except from the 1958 brochure:

10ee_compound_travel.jpg

It says 2" travel. I just checked my '56 and it's really more like 3" - 1/2" over hang and 2 1/2" back from no overhang.

I'm still trying to figure out what you're doing with your compound. About all it's really designed to do is infeed for threading type operations or maybe the occasional short length taper. For 'real' work you want the compound set where the top slide has the most contact with it's base and you provide infeed with the cross slide. This gives the most support in the slide ways for the tool and work. Longitudinal feeds should be with the carriage modulo something weird going on with the cut.

I usually leave the compound gib fairly tight just so there's a fair amount of rigidity. Some folks have just deleted the compound and replaced it with a block, I don't think the 10EE needs that if you stay in it's normal work envelope.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bsg View Post
    Are you getting more than a couple of revolutions before you contact the stop, if so it’s not the threading stop?

Are you trying to face a large part to the center?

Otherwise, you are at the mechanical limits of the machine, unsure if you made a spacer to go under the handle if you could actually machine to the center of your part?

Usually, you would just shift the tool post or compound to allow the tool to cut the larger diameter......post some pictures of your setup?

Kevin
    Sorry about the confusion, should have read more carefully!
    I thought you were talking about the crosslide.......

Kevin