What's new
What's new

is this a 10ee compound?

Brandenberger

Hot Rolled
I was buying some stuff from a shop that was shutting down, and I spied
this lathe compound which I suspect is from some vintage of monarch 10ee.
The smaller dial seems to suggest an earlier model?

I pulled it apart and cleaned it, overall in quite nice shape. Only non-original
parts seem to be the dial lock screw and the handle screw.

I don't have a 10ee (yet!) so wanted to confirm which machine(s) this would
be compatible with...

compound - 5.jpgcompound - 4.jpgcompound - 3.jpgcompound - 2.jpgcompound - 1.jpg

Thanks,
Phil

It's always strange for me to see a compound that is not all beat to shit on the end from people running into the chuck. Probably taken off the machine for some other attachment saved it from the abuse.

Almost certainly a round dial compound. It looks to be in great shape compared to most you see. If it is ever forsale, hit me up.

Almost certainly a round dial compound. It looks to be in great shape compared to most you see. If it is ever forsale, hit me up.

Yes, the lathe was sold apparently, this compound was just on a shelf with a bunch of other tooling. Not sure what was on the lathe itself, I never saw it.

I'm happy to sell it, I've got a square-dial 10ee coming soon, but I don't think I would need any parts for a compound for that.

It seems in great shape other than the two screws I mentioned are not original. The thrust bearings seem good, the screw and nut have very little backlash (I could measure, but can hardly feel any and the screw threads look uniform along its entire length). But the thrust bearings have a bit of wear which makes me think a very small amount of clearance relief should be cut/ground/lapped into the "micrometer dial" and "driving collar". As of now if the
handle screw is fully tightened the mechanism gets stiff.

-Phil

Yes, the square dial compounds have a longer non-threaded section for the dial. I jumped on an Ebay auction a while back and bought a new screw and nut, but it was for a round dial and I can't use it.

Are the round dial compounds different than the square dial EE's and how do you tell the difference ?

Hal

They are different, but as an assembly they will swap between a RD and SD (although the screws that hold them to the cross slide are specific length to the compound because they are different heights/thicknesses). The compound parts do not interchange between the SD and RD.

The SD is about a 1/4" taller. The SD does have a larger diameter dial also.

Back