What's new
What's new

10EE dial indicator holder

bll230

Hot Rolled
I got this dial indicator holder off ebay. Does anybody have one of these on his lathe, and wouldn't mind taking it off and making a pattern of the holes on the end of the saddle for me? I don't like the idea of hand drilling two holes without some confidence that my holes are in the right place.

Attachments

• IMG_1153.jpg
    IMG_1153.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_1152.jpg
    IMG_1152.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_1151.jpg
    IMG_1151.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 121
That's an indicator mount for a post-60's machine. I don't recall ever seeing that one on an old WiaD drive machine but always on the modular drive. The one you need looks like this w/o the indicator clamshell:

20210227_111016_compress24.jpg

And like this with everything in place:

10ee_indicator_assy.jpg

The original carriage stop was a work of art:

1939_carriage_stop.jpg

By 1944 they'd gone to the little dovetail (with some weird-ass angles, 25 deg or something like that) on the end of the saddle and the clamshell arrangement for the indicator and the neat solid stop.

The '39 and '40 10EE's used an indicator and stop similar to the brochure picture, but I have never seen one exactly like the one in the brochure. Perhaps it was just the prototype. Here are the stop and indicator for a 39-40. There is a dovetail at both ends of the carriage.

IMG_1062.jpg

IMG_1064.jpg

The '39 and '40 10EE's used an indicator and stop similar to the brochure picture, but I have never seen one exactly like the one in the brochure. Perhaps it was just the prototype. Here are the stop and indicator for a 39-40. There is a dovetail at both ends of the carriage.

Jeeze, I don't think I've see the old indicator holder and bed attachment but maybe once on eBay, and here you have both the right and left hand versions. Neat!

I've still got some blank castings I had made to make some bed mount stops. Made them a little tougher than the originals. Might have to machine them one of these days, same as I did with the indicator holders for the saddle.

I have the indicator holder like the OP pictured in the first post. What you do is make a female dovetail ( aluminum will do) to fit the male that is on the front of the apron, and mount the holder to that. That allows you to remove it easily, and no extra holes need to be drilled.

I have the same holder as you show in the middle picture. No dovetail just mounts with 2 long screws. As far as I can tell that is how it came from the factory.
Bob

Bob, would you mind taking it off and making a stencil of the end of the carriage with the hole positions and emailing it to me?

John

Back