What's new
What's new

10ee drive pulley....hunt and scrounge or make it a V belt drive?

Mcgyver

Diamond
Hi All,

I've an old round dial ('42) that is slowly coming together. The (current) problem is I don't have the pulley that goes on the front of the two speed gearbox. Anyone have an extra they'd sell?

Part II of the question is how expensive are the drive belts, and where do you get them? My thought was perhaps to make pulleys to use a couple of V belts as I'm missing the lower drive pulley, but that might only make sense if the belts are hard to find an expensive.

What do you guys think....and does anyone have a pulley? thanks

This is the style of pulley I think need (photo from a '43 I sold)

I am just making pulleys to convert mine to vee belts. If you still need that one for the flat belt it's yours for postage as soon as I'm done with it Mcgyver.

Hi All,

I've an old round dial ('42) that is slowly coming together. The (current) problem is I don't have the pulley that goes on the front of the two speed gearbox. Anyone have an extra they'd sell?

Part II of the question is how expensive are the drive belts, and where do you get them? My thought was perhaps to make pulleys to use a couple of V belts as I'm missing the lower drive pulley, but that might only make sense if the belts are hard to find an expensive.

Do you have the flat-belt pulley for the spindle?

The last time I looked, flat belts weren't terribly expensive. McMaster-Carr sells pre-made belts and belt material: McMaster-Carr And there are lots of other choices for flat belts.

Cal

Thanks for the replies. labeeman, thanks but thats not the one I need....needs the four small screws like the photo.

Peter that is generous, thanks, I'll probably take you up on that if one doesn't pop up locally. Might have to sell the lathe to afford shipping though :) Any sense of your timing?

I do have the top pulley. Cal, do you think that Buna-N Rubber nitril stuff is an appropriate material? At $150 or so you're right, just go with the flat belt

Hell you can have the belt as well. Might have the scabby leather original someplace. And a crimping tool, though I glued my belt.

I gave serious consideration to getting a wide poly-vee but they're a bit expensive over here.

Thanks for the replies. labeeman, thanks but thats not the one I need....needs the four small screws like the photo.

Peter that is generous, thanks, I'll probably take you up on that if one doesn't pop up locally. Might have to sell the lathe to afford shipping though :) Any sense of your timing?

I do have the top pulley. Cal, do you think that Buna-N Rubber nitril stuff is an appropriate material? At $150 or so you're right, just go with the flat belt
The plate with the four small screws are not part of the Pulley that plate with the four small screws holds the pulley on the shaft and YES that is the one you need. But Peter's offer is the one you should take.

The plate with the four small screws are not part of the Pulley that plate with the four small screws holds the pulley on the shaft and YES that is the one you need. But Peter's offer is the one you should take.

I didn't realize that, I was looking at the photo I tool with welded one.

Peter, I'm in.....I've a son coming home from Glasgow for Christmas in month.....is that too soon for you? He'll probably kill me for it but what the heck, I spent a lot of my life carting him and his around lol

No that'll be fine. I have the slug for the top pulley, I'll get another one and get a wiggle on carving out the new ones.

I'll keep you posted,

Well I can tell you, because I know as that ebay auction for the pulley is mine. That came off of a 41/42 ish inline setup. That sheave is QUITE different from the sheave that came off of a slightly newer piggy back setup. I didn't have all the pieces from the inline setup (except for the pulley for sale on ebay and several other pieces) but it doesn't interchange with slightly newer pulleys that are retained with the retaining disk with the 4 SHCS in it.

Last edited:
Well I can tell you, because I know as that ebay auction for the pulley is mine. That came off of a 41/42 ish inline setup. That sheave is QUITE different from the sheave that came off of a slightly newer piggy back setup. I didn't have all the pieces from the inline setup (except for the pulley for sale on ebay and several other pieces) but it doesn't interchange with slightly newer pulleys that are retained with the retaining disk with the 3 SHCS in it.
I know it will not interchange with the ones that are splines are you saying that there are two types of keyed pulley's?

Ok here's the spec on the pulleys on my 1942 piggy-back MG:

Bottom pulley: 7" diameter across the crown, 1.750" bore
Top pulley: 7.25" diameter across the crown 1.875" bore
Centre distance: 32-1/2"

Hi All,

BTW that is a hell of a braze job on there. I don't have one of those pulleys available but if you find two let me know, mine is kind of beat up which I'm not fond of.

Cool, I'm getting my bits together for vee-belt drive so if you send me over your email address by PM we'll sort out the logistics of getting my flat belt stuff to your lads for transport home at Christmas.

A big tip of the hat to Peter for helping me with the pulley. First class - thank you very much.

The pulley arrived via pack mule (my son returning home from school for Christmas) and fits as it should. Another marvel of the internet age that we can connect like that.

Again thanks Peter, very generous of you, and an important step toward me getting the old girl running again.

Back