What's new
What's new

10EE ELSR end bracket removal

Brandenberger

Hot Rolled
Hi,

I'm working on removing the saddle and apron on my 1962 10ee ELSR. I've read many threads here which were helpful, and I've already removed the ELSR control rod via the round 3-screw cover. Thanks to everyone who has thoroughly documented various aspects.

I now need to remove the bracket itself, and have seen various procedures described which imply the ELSR end bracket could just come off the leadscrew (leaving the bearing assembly attached)?

I am finding however that while the feed rod seems ready to release from the end bracket, the leadscrew seems to be firmly fixed into the end bracket.

The bracket itself attaches with the two SHCS and two threaded taper pins, all of which have been removed (not in the pictures, but when attempting to remove the end bracket). WHen the taper pins and SHCS are removed, the bracket itself can be pulled away from the lathe bed, so it it clearly not hung up on some other screw or pin I've missed.

monarch 10ee - 1.jpgmonarch 10ee - 2.jpgmonarch 10ee - 3.jpg

I could of course remove the leadscrew and feed rod and slide the whole assembly out, if that's required.

Thanks,
Phil

Hi,

I'm working on removing the saddle and apron on my 1962 10ee ELSR. ...

I now need to remove the bracket itself, and have seen various procedures described which imply the ELSR end bracket could just come off the leadscrew (leaving the bearing assembly attached)?

I am finding however that while the feed rod seems ready to release from the end bracket, the leadscrew seems to be firmly fixed into the end bracket.
I checked the photos that DaveE907 shared with me of his ELSR square-dial. He took the bracket and leadscrew out as one unit.
09. ELSR with Leadscrew.jpg

Parts sheet 136 shows the leadscrew and bracket. I suspect that the bearing assembly is pressed into the bracket. But others will know for sure.

Cal

thanks!

Are Dave's photos online somewhere still? I saw references to them but I think they were on photobucket or something and I got permission denied errors trying to access them.

-Phil

The photos were in an album in my photobucket account. They want money to make them visible, but hades will freeze over before they get anything from me. I have the photos on my computer and if I can ever find the time, I'll put them in a thread here.

Cal

I followed the general procedure:

1) carefully label ELSR wires and micro-switches and their orientations
2) remove microswitches
3) remove taper pin from leadscrew (gearbox side)
4) remove threaded taper pins and SHCS from ELSR end bracket (2 of each on my machine)
5) support ELSR bracket with some wood
6) engage half-nut and use carriage to pull out leadscrew and push ELSR bracket to the right, while making sure the wires aren't getting pinched or damaged
7) once ELSR bracket is past the end of the lathe bed, it is easier to extract the wire bundle. On my machine there was a generous amount of wire inside the lathe bed, making this convenient. The wire passage is pretty tight for that bundle of wire, so make sure you straighten out the wire and attach labels securely to avoid them being pulled off.
8) then remove taper pin for feed rod, and remove that.
9) then follow other directions for saddle / apron removal.

monarch 10ee elsr - 1.jpg

As Cal has indicated above, the leadscrew remains attached to the ELSR end bracket in this procedure.

monarch 10ee elsr - 2.jpg

Thanks Cal for the help!

-Phil

Back