What's new
What's new

10ee ELSR lead screw free wheeling

Flightmap

Plastic
I have a 1963 10ee ELSR and am trying to thread with (toward the head stock). I did not set up the ELSR and the thread is 1/4”-20 X 1”. After setting up the thread levers per the square dial, I found that the thread dial wasn’t turning when I engaged the spindle. Looked at the lead screw, and it also wasn’t turning. Turned the lead screw with my fingers and it turned freely.. I get an impression that something sheared at either end of the lead screw.

Has anyone seen this problem before? Any suggestions for where to look further?

If you have never threaded with this machine before,
check to insure that the end gears are there and turn when the spindle turns.
The end gears connect the headstock stud gear to the quick change gearbox and are used only for threading.

If you post a good picture of the headstock showing the position of all the levers,
others will chime in if you have something set wrong.

Bill

Also sometimes, you need to check to make sure the all threading knobs and levers are fully engaged, (there are a bunch) especially that C,D , E knob on the thd's and feeds lever. If it does not click into place just right, the leadscrew will act just like you are describing.

Can I assume that you have not threaded with a 10EE before! If so begin with the lever at the CDE knob, move the lever to "th'rds/" position, Then the lever "Belt/Gear" to gear position.Often need to rock the chuck or feed screw to get it switched and locked, next Pull out and turn the big knob and turn to RH or LH threading direction. Likely need to turn leadscrew by hand to get engaged. Be sure the big lever for gear selection is UP an locked. And as stated by other posters, be sure the CDE knob is in a dentented position.

The ELSR only needs to be set for RH, LH position. Its effect is only electrical(On/Off spindle) and direction.

Good question by all three responders (implied and implicent). I have threaded on the machine several times. The last time, coincidently, I had a capacitor failure on transformer 4 which side tracked me from the threading issue. With the help of a Forum member, I was able to find the capacitor problem an am now back to the threading issue.

i will take pics of my settings and confirm that the detents are in place (have already done this, but it doesn’t hurt to do it again). Maybe I missed something you will see. BTW I am following the procedure described in my manual for threading operations.

Another thing to try is to backdrive the gearbox by manually turning the leadscrew. While turning change the engagement on the tumbler - if you feel the tension on the leadscrew change you're likely getting to that part of the gearbox. You can also do it from the other end, just with a little more difficulty, to see if you're getting past the AB thread/feed lever. In all you can isolate the issue to a particular part of the gear train this way.

My 10EE came with all sorts of problems in the gearbox, most were resolvable by fixing the timing of the AB and CDE engagements. Still one annoyance - I get a hum in feed that can be 'fixed' temporarily by moving the AB lever a little bit and back. I suspect a gear is shifting a little on the forks but with all that way the heck in the back of the gearbox I'm just living with it.

Back